Breast Cancer Awareness Month: What You Need to Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. All month we see pink everywhere, hear survivor stories, and read slogans saying how we need to “Save the Ta-Tas.” What we don’t always get exposure to are the facts and how to help.  

Let’s start with some facts: 

• Did you know that one in eight women will get breast cancer in their lifetime? 

• How about that breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer among women worldwide, and the second leading cause of cancer related death in women? 

• Men can also get breast cancer – 2.47 men will be diagnosed while 460 men will die from breast cancer every year.  

• Every two minutes, a woman is diagnosed with breast cancer. One woman will die every thirteen minutes from breast cancer.  

• In the United States, there are thirty-three million breast cancer survivors.  

• Facts Provided from The National Breast Cancer Foundation 

• African American Women under 45 are at a higher risk for breast cancer. 

• A woman’s risk of breast cancer almost doubles if she has a mother, sister, or daughter who has been diagnosed.  

• Less than fifteen percent of woman who get breast cancer have a family member that’s been diagnosed.  

• Fact Provided from the American Cancer Society 

How do you Check for Breast Cancer? What are some symptoms?  

• Step 1: Look at your breasts in the mirror with your shoulder straight and hands on your hips. 

• You should look for any unusual shapes, colors, and swelling. Also take notice of any dimpling, puckering, or bulging.  

• Step 2: Raise your arms and look again for the same symptoms.  

• Step 3: Check for any signs of fluid coming out of either nipple. 

• Step 4: Feel your breasts while laying down. Keep one arm up while the other arm does the checking. Use circular, firm motions with your fingertips to apply pressure to quarter-sized areas. Make sure to check the whole breast and then repeat with the second breast.  

• You should be looking and feeling for any lumps or puckering.  

• Facts Provided from breastcancer.org 

To donate, Time Magazine recommends these organizations as ones which really make a difference: 

Don’t just get pink-washed this October. Know the facts and help spread awareness.  

SU' 20 • Vanderpump Rules Enthusiast • Dog Fanatic • I'm just a college girl with champagne taste on a beer budget.
I am Brooke Adams-Porter, a communications student at Susquehanna University. Just an old soul finding herself in this new world.