This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Fear is destructive. It causes us to overthink, stress out, and worry about circumstances that are out of our control.

Why do our minds constantly dwell on these negative emotions? Why do we let our doubts dictate our lives? Is there any way we can let go of fear?

Not on our own we can’t. Lucky for us, our Savior has the power to conquer our greatest distress and anxieties.

After reflecting on my own life, and hearing about the lives of others, I found that a lot of fear is derived from the thought of failing. Let’s face it, everyone wants to be successful. We like to be good at all that we do. Thinking about not achieving personal goals and desires, whether small or large, causes us to worry. We then begin to contemplate whether we want to take chances with the idea of potential failure hovering in the back of our minds. While these insecure thoughts may be overwhelming, God tells us to be courageous. He will not let us fail and He will equip us with everything we need to do His will. When we have the Lord of all creation on our side, and with us always, there is nothing in this world that could take us down.

Being courageous may sound like a simple fix to getting over fear, but it is easier said than done. What does the Lord mean when he tells us to be courageous?

I truly believe that the more we build a relationship with God, and the more we learn about the promises He has made to his children, the more courage we will have. Telling us to be courageous is an invitation to trust in Him wholeheartedly. God alone is all that we need. If we put our complete trust in Christ, he will wipe away our worries. Faith defeats fear.

Let us put our confidence in Christ. If we believe in our hearts that He is in control of our lives and that He wants what is best for us, then we can live fearlessly and trust that there is something great about every situation we go through. God is perfect. He is filled with an inconceivable amount of courage inside of him. If we put our identities in the Lord, we can have unlimited access to His courage. It is time to live courageously. Put your trust in God and let His confidence shine through.

Biblical References:

“David also said to Solomon his son, “Be strong and courageous, and do the work. Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord God, my God, is with you. He will not fail you or forsake you until all the work for the service of the temple of the Lord is finished.” (1 Chronicles 28:20)

“Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong.” (1 Corinthians 16:13)

“The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.” (Psalms 23:1)

“Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, “Don’t be afraid; just believe.” (Mark 5:36)

“Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.” (Psalms 27:14)

“They will have no fear of bad news; their hearts are steadfast, trusting in the Lord.” (Psalms 112:17)

“Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The Lord, the Lord himself, is my strength and my defense; he has become my salvation.” (Isaiah 12:2)

Hi I'm Amanda! I am a Public Relations major at Susquehanna University. My passions include fitness, food, and my faith. My goal is to create content that can influence others in a positive way!
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University