Animated TV Shows From Our Childhood That Taught Us Life Lessons

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Growing up, we have all watched television. Personally, I find comfort in watching old cartoons from my childhood. When I was rewatching some of my favorites, I realized the weight that the TV shows had on me. Many of the decisions and problems I face in adulthood relate to the lessons learned in these cartoons. If it were not for the TV shows, I would not be able to resolve conflicts in my life. 

Not only did the TV shows teach us about resolving conflicts, but they taught us about girlhood and friendships. I have prepared a list of animated TV shows that teach valuable lessons about life that transferred from childhood to adulthood. Girl culture has been heavily influenced by these animated TV shows. 

1. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic 

Twilight Sparkle, a unicorn in a land called Equestria, is sent to a small town called Ponyville by Princess Celestia. There, she meets Pinkie Pie, AppleJack, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, and Rarity. Together, they teach Twilight and others the magic of friendship. 

My Little Pony teaches powerful lessons such as: you are nothing without your friends, there is magic in the world, work hard for what you believe in, and many more. This show values friendship amongst characters. My Little Pony emphasizes that friendship does come with complications and offers insights.  

1. Barbie Life in the Dreamhouse 

The series centers on the life of Barbie, her friends, her siblings, her boyfriend Ken, and several pets. Barbie faces challenges throughout the series. Barbie helps young girls realize that they can do anything. Barbie, throughout the series, mentions her various jobs and friendships. The Barbie universe is large. There are many TV shows and movies outside Barbie Life in the Dreamhouse

Today, Barbie is a reference in pop culture. Women who can do everything and stay true to themselves are considered a Barbie. Girls admire Barbie because of her feminine and independent personality. Barbie is kind and brave in the face of conflict. It is important for young girls to recognize their power in the world. 

1. Lego Friends 

To make friends in a new town, Olivia befriends a group of girls. The girls go on adventures around Heartlake City together. Today, the show has been renewed with new characters because the friends we watched growing up have also grown up with us. 

Lego Friends offers young girls a valuable lesson in individuality and inclusivity. Recognizing differences and being kind towards people is something the show emphasizes. You can be friends with others who do not share the same interests as you. The group we grew up with in 2010 was a diverse group: they are interested in sports, animals, music, robotics, and the environment. Today, Lego Friends features characters with disabilities. 

1. Ever After High 

Ever After High is a high school that prepares the teenage children of fairy tale figures for the day they will take their parents’ place and keep their stories alive. The show offers complex relationships with friends and family. 

Ever After High emphasizes the fact that you can follow your own destiny. You do not need to conform to your family’s expectations of you. The show addresses stereotypes and rejects the idea of placing them onto people. This lesson is important to recognize from childhood to adulthood. 

1. Monster High 

The series follows a group of teenage children of famous monsters in media and film who attend high school. The Monster High franchise is large, including many movies and TV shows. Today, the show has been revamped. 

Monster High was ahead of its time when it was released. Monster High offers lessons about discrimination and inclusion. Like Ever After High, it highlights how you can make your own destiny. Monster High is a place where every ghoul can fit in, and everyone is welcome. 

1. Winx Club 

Something truly magical has happened to Bloom, an ordinary girl who discovers she is really a fairy. Bloom learns to use her magical powers at a fairy school, Alfea College. Bloom and her friends go on many adventures together. 

Winx Club fights the idea of discrimination. Alfea College accepts students from all backgrounds and realms. The show also introduces character development. At the beginning of the show, the characters can be seen as petty and slightly selfish. But towards the end of the series, the characters have been fully transformed. Bloom and her friends have bonded and matured. 

Liz Reese

Susqu '27

Liz Reese is a marketing major at Susquehanna University. Liz loves listening to Taylor Swift and when she is not busy you can find her in the gym or snuggled in bed with a good book. Liz enjoys traveling and hanging out with her friends. A fun fact about Liz is that she has been to many different states and countries.