Life > Academics

Accommodations We Should Keep in Classrooms Post-COVID

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

After the first few weeks of classes have passed, other students and I have noticed a dramatic change in the expectations placed upon us compared to the past two semesters. Last year, professors were fairly lenient and particularly understanding when it came to both physical and mental health issues that arose as a result of the pandemic. It was acceptable and even encouraged to Zoom into class when you were not feeling well and to go to virtual office hours to limit contact with others. This year, now all classes, clubs, and activities are in person with no online option. This is great in respect to everyone and campus life returning to normal, however, getting rid of previous academic accommodations that were once in place seems like we are taking a step backward.

Most of us instinctively think about how these changes impact ourselves first, but we shouldn’t forget how this change also impacts disabled individuals. For some, it was not only more convenient but actually better to Zoom into a class instead of attending in-person. This is because staying online can help manage classroom anxiety, and it would allow someone to be more comfortable if they are dealing with chronic pain or other physical issues. For others, if they aren’t feeling well, they still had the chance to attend class remotely. Even though it can be harder to concentrate, it’s still better than not being present at all. Because of this, I believe that everyone should have the option to Zoom into class when the benefits of staying online are greater than the benefits of attending in-person; however, this option should be used only when needed. There always runs the risk of students taking advantage of this, so a professor should also be able to decide when it is acceptable to do this.

I also think it would be another huge advantage to all students to bring back recorded lectures. At some point, everyone has most likely missed something important a professor has said or has left class confused. At least for me, when I went back and listened to something in a previous lecture again, I better understood it after hearing it for a second or even a third time. For those who have auditory processing issues or ADD/ADHD, this would also be extremely beneficial. The chance to go back and listen to something again to get clarification on a subject matter is definitely something that doesn’t hurt anyone.

It has been frustrating having extra resources taken away from students this year, especially because we are still living in a pandemic. While things may seem more “normal,” more people are dying now compared to this time last year. Even if someone is vaccinated, they may still be anxious to be back in classrooms full-time. Regardless of someone’s personal reasons, Zoom and recorded lectures should still be accessible to all students this year.

Hey! I'm Nicole and I'm a sophomore Biochemistry and Sociology Major with a Women and Gender Studies Minor at Susquehanna University. When I'm not writing articles for HerCampus or in a science lab, you can catch me with friends, going to Dunkin, or cuddling up with my dog.