Style > Decor

A Beginner’s Guide To Antiques

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

The antique world is intimidating, especially in stores packed head to toe with items. Sometimes, it can be hard to distinguish trash from treasure, and that’s why the most important thing is to know what to look for. In this guide, I will give you some of the most prominent antiques and how much to expect to pay for them. It is important to note that this list comes from the Northeast, and things like value and abundance may vary according to region.

Roseville Pottery

Founded in Ohio in 1890 by J.F. Weaver, Roseville Pottery was one of the fastest-growing pottery companies during the turn of the century. The company is known for its use of botanical images, often protruding out of the pottery. However, scarcer designs from the early 1900s consist of more geometric patterns. Roseville Pottery often has a velvet-like finish, though it is not limited to this, as some designs, like floor planters, feature a high-shine glaze. Roseville pieces can range from around $60 to a few thousand dollars. I would say, on average, Roseville costs about $80. These prices vary drastically based on how many pieces of that specific design are in circulation.

McCoy Pottery

McCoy Pottery was established in 1899 by James W. McCoy. It was owned and operated by generations of the McCoy family until 1967, and then operations continued under new ownership until 1990. These pieces are best known for their pastel colors and shiny glazes. The company began by making primarily utilitarian pieces before making their way into designing showpieces for display only. Popular pieces include planters, dish sets, cookie jars, and pitchers. McCoy’s long period of operations makes their designs heavily sought after since there are several time periods represented in their pieces. As always, the price of McCoy varies greatly depending on the piece, with an average of $60-$80. 

Shiny Brite Ornaments

Shiny Brite Ornaments was established in New York in 1937 by Max Eckhardt. They acquired their name due to the silver nitrate that they coated the inside of the ornaments with to keep them “shiny” and “bright” for years. Corning Glass Company helped produce the bulbs for Eckhardt, where they were then sent to his company to be painted and lacquered. These bulbs were most popular in America throughout the 1940s and 50s and were known for their hand-painted designs. These ornaments can be easily spotted due to their paper boxes (not plastic-coated), vibrant colors, and hand-glued sparkles. Original boxes of Shiny Brites can range anywhere from $50-$200.

Hummels

Hummels is a favorite of many casual collectors. Their origin is in the drawings of Berta Hummel (Sister Maria Innocentia) that she began as sketches of the lives of the children she taught. Through this, she was able to develop prestige for her religious art. It was then that Franz Goebel was able to discover these drawings in the form of religious note cards. He then had the idea of turning the subjects of the drawings into figurines. Sister Maria died in 1946 from tuberculosis, but to this day, her covenant has the legal rights to her art and must approve all reproductions to determine whether the product meets their quality standard. After World War II, the production of Hummels began to slow, and eventually they ceased production. Now, Hummels is a valued collector’s item and can be worth around $50, with rarer pieces going for a few thousand dollars. 

Ball Mason Jars

John Landis Mason invented the Mason Jar in 1858. The company was started with a $200 loan from his uncle, and they first started bottling chemical products. In 1884, his product began to sell as home canning jars once they were being manufactured by the Ball Corporation. This is what launched the design as a household name and established the Ball Jar. The jar had a purely utilitarian purpose. During a time when food preservation wasn’t understood, and E. coli was rampant, John Mason created a patent to perfect canning. Since Ball Jars are still produced, the most common way to distinguish the period it was made in is by the type of script used in the logo. These jars live on due to their practical design that is used for canning as well as decor. Accompanying the Ball Jar are zinc lids, which, when found in good condition, together create a great pair.

Red Rose Tea Figurines

In 1967, Red Rose Tea partnered with Wade Ceramics to begin putting collectible figurines in their tea boxes. They first launched their partnership in Canada, slowly expanding to the United States once they started seeing success. Since then, these figurines have been in constant circulation, with some more recent ones being produced in 2020. However, vintage Wade figurines have become a collectible, with some being upwards of $700. Single pieces are often only a couple of dollars, and certain sets are more scarce than others. The most common pieces to run into come from the circus animal set that was produced from 1993-1998.

Sources

“Roseville Pottery History, Marks, and Artists.” Just Art Pottery, Just Art Potter, justartpottery.com/pages/about-roseville-pottery. Accessed 17 Nov. 2023.

“Roseville Pottery Vase.” National Museum of American History, americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_575913#:~:text=Founded%20in%201890%20by%20J.F.,its%20eventual%20closure%20in%201954. Accessed 17 Nov. 2023.

Manty , Kris. “The History of Shiny Brite Ornaments – Antique Trader.” Kovel’s Antique Trader, www.antiquetrader.com/articles/shiny-brite-ornaments-have-lasting-appeal-with-collectors. Accessed 17 Nov. 2023.

Vonn Recklinghausen, Heidi Ann. “The Religious History of Hummel Figurines – Antique Trader.” Kovels Antique Trader , www.antiquetrader.com/collectibles/hummel-figurines-history. Accessed 17 Nov. 2023.

“History of Ball Mason Jars.” MasonJars.Com, 7 Sept. 2023, masonjars.com/history-of-ball-jars-html/#:~:text=John%20Landis%20Mason%20invented%20the,than%20the%20Ball%20Mason%20jar.

Cooper, Megan. “Antique Tea Figurines: History and Value.” LoveToKnow, LoveToKnow, 3 May 2023, www.lovetoknow.com/home/antiques-collectibles/antique-english-tea-figurines.

Ldalessandro. “The Most Valuable Wade Figurines.” Collectibles Insurance Services, 8 May 2023, collectinsure.com/2023/05/20/the-most-valuable-wade-figurines/.

Sydney Greiner is a writer at Her Campus's Susqu Chapter. She interested in writing about elements of pop culture. Outside of Her Campus, Sydney is an English Lit & Publishing and Editing double major. As of Fall 2023 she has started interning at Cornell University Press as an Author Brand Strategist. In her free time, Sydney Enjoys reading, writing , and watching her favorite show Twin Peaks.