This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

The following information is based on my personal experience with tattoos. Everyone’s experience will be different.

As someone who has always been fascinated by tattoos, it is only natural for me to get some of my own. One of the things about getting a tattoo that surprised me is how much actually goes into the process. It starts from making the appointment to the lifelong commitment to taking care of it.

How do I know what size tattoo I want?

This differs for everyone because there are multiple factors that go into it. If it is your first tattoo and you’re not sure how you are going to take the pain, consider a small one that is about palm size. However, if you know that you have a high pain tolerance, a tattoo that is slightly larger might be for you.

Where Should I get my tattoo?

This one also depends on your pain tolerance. The higher the pain tolerance, the more you can attempt having a tattoo on the more sensitive the areas of your body. However, for lower pain tolerances, less sensitive areas are best. If you are unsure how you will handle the pain, I recommend getting the tattoo on your back shoulder. This is where I got my first one, and the most pain happened when the artists went over bone, though it was still manageable. If you want a more specific look into pain levels and locations, look into this article.

What should I look for in a potential artist?

The most important thing to keep in mind when looking for an artist is if they normally do the style of tattoo you are looking for. What I mean by this is, if you are looking for something that is all-line work, no color, and overall simplicity, then you want to look for a tattoo artist who does that. The same can be said if you want something with immense detail and explosive color. Does this mean that you can’t go to an artist who rarely does work that you are looking at getting? No, you can still go to that artist, but just know that they might be trying something for the first time.

How long in advance should I book my appointment when I find an artist?

ASAP! Simple as that. Once you find an artist, you should look at the availability that they have and expect some kind of wait time. The more popular the artist is, the longer the wait time will be for an appointment. Personally, I have been lucky enough to be able to schedule an appointment and have gotten both of my tattoos done within a week to two weeks of time.

How much should I expect to spend?

This depends on multiple factors. First, what is the size? The larger the piece is, the more time it will take, so the more expensive it will be. Second, is there color? If so, how much? Colored tattoos cost more simply because colored ink is being used. Third, where are you getting it done? What is the location? This will also play a factor in pricing. For example, my first tattoo, which I got in El Paso, Texas, is about 5 by 4 inches, with minimum color (yellow and red), and was $250. However, my second tattoo, which I got in Stirling, Scotland, is about 2 by 4 (inches), all line work, in black, and costs about $75 depending on the conversion rate from Pounds Sterling to US Dollars.

Do I Tip?

Yes, you always should tip when in the U.S. It is customary to tip anywhere between 15% and 25%. However, due to the pandemic, it has become more custom to between tip 20% to 25%. I recommend that the larger the tattoo, the closer to the 20% to 25% range since they take longer and are more likely to be more detailed.

What should I do to physically prepare for a tattoo?

A lot of people do not realize that they should have a large protein meal before going to get a tattoo. Also, you need to drink a lot of water to keep yourself hydrated to avoid passing out. If you have ever donated blood, I recommend a very similar diet before going to get a tattoo since you do bleed while getting a tattoo.

How do a care for my new tattoo?

Every artist has a different method for the aftercare of your tattoo so always ask what they recommend. For my first tattoo, I got what is called second skin, which is a transparent, band-aid-like barrier, that I left on for a week before slowly peeling it off and cleaning that tattoo. When I cleaned the tattoo, I used unscented soap on a damp paper towel, carefully rubbing it over the tattoo to wash off the plasma and any healed skin. Then, I got a damp towel (without soap) and wiped the soap off the tattoo. It is nothing to worry about if you get black flakes on the paper towel. That just means that the tattoo is healing. Next, you need to get a dry paper towel and dab the tattoo dry then apply Aquaphor (or suggested ointment) onto the tattoo. After the first week, you can wash the tattoo when you get in the shower, I recommend not directly putting scented soap on the tattoo but letting it run over the tattoo mixed with water. You also should start to put unscented lotion (like Lubriderm) twice a day. After two weeks, you can apply it once a day for basically the rest of your life in order to keep the tattoo looking new.

Does outdoor conditions impact how I treat my tattoo?

Yes, you must make sure you put sunscreen on the tattoo and reapply when you need to. This, in combination with using lotion, will help keep your tattoo looking nice. Another thing to note is that if you get a tattoo in the summer, or when it is nice out, you should not expose a fresh tattoo to direct sunlight if you can prevent it. Also, you should not go swimming for 2 to 4 weeks in a pool, ocean, creek (or anywhere else) because the tattoo does not have a full protective barrier around it.

In summary, there is a lot of planning and thought that goes into getting a tattoo because it is a lifelong commitment in order to care for it. Unless you are 100% positive that you want a specific design on your body and you know that you will be able to live the rest of your life looking at it, I do not recommend getting a tattoo. Either way, I hope this helps you in planning and deciding on your first tattoo.

Amanda Kresge is a Creative Writing and Publishing and Editing double major with a minor in Film Studies. Their preferred genre is fiction, specifically the short story form, where they focus on writing crime stories. In their free time, Amanda likes to watch a lot of crime shows, specifically Law & Order: Special Victims Unit. One might also find them listening to Motionless in White and/or Ice Nine Kills as they work on their next creative piece.