This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Sometimes it hits you before you even start writing. You can’t come up with an idea, or the ideas you have brainstormed are all garbage. Maybe you do come up with a workable idea, but still, it torments you. You know what you want to say, just not how to say it. You grab your phone and start texting your friends, or scroll the social media feed you refreshed a whole five minutes ago, telling yourself that something you see will inspire you.

You know the feeling. Although sometimes it’s inevitable, here are four ways you can break free from the vice of writer’s block:

1. Read

What are you writing? If you’re typing an essay, read what other people are saying about your topic (you’ve probably already done that, but doing more research can never hurt!). If it’s a more creative piece, then read in whatever genre you’re writing! This is a fun, relaxing way to take a break from writing and hopefully glean some inspiration. You can even write something based off of your reading.

2. Take a break

If you’re forcing every word out, it’s going to show in your writing. Also, the more frustrated you are, the harder it will be to write. That’s why you should let yourself take a break! Go do something else, and see if writing comes easier when you take a look at that blank Word doc with fresh eyes. If you’re on a time crunch, you can still take a break, even if it’s only five minutes.

3. Try something new

Write in a way that you normally wouldn’t. For example, change the place and time of day in which you write. Use a different way of generating ideas– journaling, prompt generators, and list-making are some options. You also don’t have to write your piece in chronological order! You can skip ahead in the paper and come back when you have more ideas for the part you couldn’t write.

4. Lower your expectations

Accept this now: your first draft will suck. But that’s okay! You are the only one who will see it, after all. The writing process will be much easier if you drop your expectations and just write. Later, you can go back, edit, and create something better.

Content creators tend to be perfectionists, so this is a lot easier said than done. If you can get over that mental roadblock, though, it’ll be worth it in the end!

I'm a sophomore Publishing & Editing and Graphic Design double major as well as an editor at and the treasurer of Her Campus Susquehanna. I love to draw, read, and play video games in my free time.
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University