Wellness > Health

3 Things I’ve Learned From Wearing Glasses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

I’ve been wearing glasses since I was in 2nd grade, and my prescription has just gotten worse and worse ever since. I used to be able to see up close, but now things get blurry before they’re an arms-width away. Even though that’s kind of sad and unfortunate, I realized that having terrible eyes and (right now) an older prescription than what I need, has helped me learn things that I’m not sure if other people can relate to. Let’s explore.

I can tell who people are from their walk

I realized this the other day when I saw one of my friends walking around campus. I couldn’t see his face, or even really his hair, but I could tell who it was within a few seconds. I think I’ve just gotten used to not being able to see people fully, especially farther away, so I’ve overcompensated by picking up how people walk.

People without glasses don’t understand people with glasses

This is much more of a generalization because I don’t know every person with and without glasses, but this is what I understand. There’s that whole meme that people without glasses ask, “How many fingers am I holding up?” and that literally doesn’t prove anything about someone’s sight. That’s the biggest example I can think of.

Sunglasses are the devil

I have never worn sunglasses. One of my friends wears glasses that turn into sunglasses when she goes outside. Now that she’s recently gotten contacts, she has to wear sunglasses outside or she can’t see correctly. The luxury of sunglasses weakens your eyes, I’m just saying. That was more of just a complaint, but I’ll stand by it.

What I’m going to take away from all of this is that people are constantly learning more about themselves and the world around them. It might be hard to realize in the moment, but everyone is learning and changing every single day, and I guess that’s pretty cool.

Senior Publishing and Editing and Philosophy double major.