This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Most people think that long-distance relationships never work, especially in college. I would just like to be the one that says, don’t give up! They work! My lovely boyfriend and I have been together for almost eight months and our relationship has been thriving since day one. He is the type of person that pushes me to follow my dreams, and I push him as well. His favorite line to say when I get upset about doing distance is, “I’ll always be here waiting for you at the end.” That line alone makes it all worth it. Yes, we both get upset that the other person isn’t physically there all the time, but that makes the times we do see each other even more special. As someone who is in a long-distance relationship, I’m here to give advice that may help concerns.

Put in the effort

If you put in the same effort that you would if you were physically around your significant other, it will be as if nothing has changed. Effort is also not one-sided. That goes for all healthy relationships. Speaking from experience, once effort and reassurance are put into place, the relationship will be very healthy and strong

Tell them how you feel about them

As stated in #1, reassurance is key. Letting someone know how you truly feel about them will help the relationship prosper. We all love sweet paragraphs from our significant other here and there, especially when you haven’t seen them in a long time. It is good to be reassured that they still feel the same for you and that nothing has changed.

Talk to each other

We all have busy lives. It happens. We are trying to establish ourselves. But to keep your relationship strong, you have to talk to each other. I don’t mean by text or Snapchat. Call them. When you are both available, take the time to call or FaceTime each other on the phone. Hearing your significant other’s voice can make your whole day happy. Believe me, I know.

There are so many more things you can do to make your relationship work, but these are a few steps that help me! For anyone going through this, everything will work out the way it’s supposed to. Have faith and if you truly love them, it will be okay! It will all be worth it at the end of the day! Happy Valentine’s Day!

Hi! I'm Kaitlyn! I am a psychology major at Susquehanna University.