This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Move-in day was on August 23rd, 2018. That was also the day I began living on my own without my family being with me. I had never lived without my family before so watching them go was really hard for me. I felt empty without them and feeling empty only made me want to go home more. It made me extremely anxious and I felt like the world was crashing down around me. 

Today marks two weeks later and I’m in a much better place than I was before. I’ve realized that even though my family is far away, it doesn’t mean they’re no longer in my life. They’ll always be my support system no matter where I am. I just had to learn on my own that things will be okay, it will be okay, and I’ll be okay. I just have to battle my stress and anxiety one day at a time. Adjusting takes time just like everything else. 

I suffer from severe anxiety so I understand that it’s hard to get out of bed sometimes, but that’s one of the worst things you can do for yourself. Here’s a list of things that may help you to ground yourself when or if you’re struggling with anxiousness: 

1. Deep breathing

2. Crafting

3. Yoga

4. Meditation

5. Exercising

6. Writing in a journal

7. Talking to someone

8. Listening to music

9. Taking a bath 

10. Sitting outside with nature

If any of these things don’t work then I highly recommend using the resources that Susquehanna or your school provides on campus. Please take advantage of them. It’s okay to feel overwhelmed. 

I'm an art lover with lots of advice to share. I also think I'm pretty funny.
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University