10 Strategies for Back to School Stress

Move-in day was on August 23rd, 2018. That was also the day I began living on my own without my family being with me. I had never lived without my family before so watching them go was really hard for me. I felt empty without them and feeling empty only made me want to go home more. It made me extremely anxious and I felt like the world was crashing down around me. 

Today marks two weeks later and I'm in a much better place than I was before. I've realized that even though my family is far away, it doesn't mean they're no longer in my life. They'll always be my support system no matter where I am. I just had to learn on my own that things will be okay, it will be okay, and I'll be okay. I just have to battle my stress and anxiety one day at a time. Adjusting takes time just like everything else. 

I suffer from severe anxiety so I understand that it's hard to get out of bed sometimes, but that's one of the worst things you can do for yourself. Here's a list of things that may help you to ground yourself when or if you're struggling with anxiousness: 

1. Deep breathing

2. Crafting

3. Yoga

4. Meditation

5. Exercising

6. Writing in a journal

7. Talking to someone

8. Listening to music

9. Taking a bath 

10. Sitting outside with nature

If any of these things don't work then I highly recommend using the resources that Susquehanna or your school provides on campus. Please take advantage of them. It's okay to feel overwhelmed.