10 Exotic Animals to Add to Your Christmas Wish List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

1. Fennec Fox

These cute little animals are much like dogs (except they can purr like a cat when they’re happy). Their average lifespan is about 14 years. They are originally from North Africa but can adapt to all climates. Fennec Fox tend to have a lot of energy and require a lot of socialization.

2. Chinchilla

Chinchillas generally live for about 10 years, but some have been reported to live to 20 years. Chinchillas originated in South America and have been found to be prone to heat stroke if the temperature gets over 80 degrees Fahrenheit. They tend to bond to their owner easily and love to be cuddled. They are very fast moving and agile and like to play.

3. Serval

Servals are part of the feline family. They are originally from Sub-Saharan Africa (not the rainforest). Since they are still considered a wild species, they can be hard to train. They are not typically aggressive but some of their inbred survival skills may be hard to change. Many say that they are very affectionate.

4. Sugar Glider

Sugar Gliders are native to Australia, Papua New Guinea, and Indonesia. They are a marsupial and are about 7 inches in length. They have a long bushy tail which is about the length of their body. Sugar Gliders react well to humans and can express affection and displeasure. They do better in pairs, especially if you would have to leave them alone often.

5. Capybara

Capybaras are native to South America. They live for about 8 to 10 years and reach a  height of 2 feet tall and about 170 pounds. They are the largest member of the rodent family. They require a lot of work. For example, they need a pool for swimming and a lot of grass for grazing. They are also prone to sunburn so make sure there is a shaded area for them at all times. It is highly recommended to keep them in pairs as they are very social and do not fare well when alone.

6. Miniature Donkey

Miniature Donkeys are not necessarily small animals, they are about 3 feet tall and weigh between 200 and 350 pounds. They tend to live for about 25 to 30 years. It is highly recommended that they are kept in pairs as they are not solitary creatures. They are very intelligent and easy to train. They tend to be friendly with other animals and kids.

7. Wallaroo

Wallaroos tend to live for 15 to 20 years. They are very active and playful. They tend to bond well with owners when raised correctly. They require a lot of space and a tall fence as they are very high jumpers. They require a temperature ranging from 40 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

8. Kinkajou (Honey Bear)

Kinkajous are originally from the rainforests of Central and South America. They tend to live for about 20 to 25 years, although some have been documented to live for 40 years. They spend most of their time in trees. They are usually playful but can get agitated when woken up during the day (they’re nocturnal).

9. Dik Dik

Dik Diks are originally from Eastern Africa. When fully grown, they reach about 12 to 16 inches tall at the shoulder and weigh 7 to 15 pounds. They mate for life so it is better to keep them in groups of two.

10. Agouti

Agoutis originated in Central and South America. They weigh about 9 pounds. They are normally shy in the wild but can be outgoing and friendly in captivity. Your Agouti should be bred in captivity because it would be friendlier towards humans.

A Psychology major who loves to write
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University