The Lalalaptop Cup Of Tea
The Lalalaptop Cup Of Tea
Her Campus Media

10 Book Recommendations for Your Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

With Spring Break approaching, it’s the perfect time to find a good book that allows you to escape from the world for a few hours. As a pretty avid bookworm, I’m always more than happy to recommend some of my favorite books (maybe as an excuse to fangirl a little)… I hope this list inspires you and maybe helps you to find your next adventure! 

Romance Books

A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb (This one left me in a few tears, but it was so worth it! It is very interesting as it follows a romance in the afterlife and the challenges it brings.)

In 27 Days by Alison Gervais (She was recognized on WattPad for her story and won the Watty Award of 2012! It’s just… a REALLY cute love story about a girl who goes back in time to save a boy who committed suicide.)

Fantasy Books

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas (This series has eight books in it. You won’t be bored ever again! It really has everything from fantasy and romance to action and a bad-ass main character fighting for the crown.)

Wendy Darling by Colleen Oaks (A Peter Pan adaption that is not only more mature, but an amazing read! I read each book in the series as it was released, and could never seem to stay patient for the next one!)

Splintered by A.G. Howard (An Alice in Wonderland adaption that I am currently reading and really enjoying! It’s very different from the fairy tale we all know and love, but it’s unique, different, and fantastical in the best ways as it follows skater-girl Alyssa, the granddaughter of Alice, and her adventures into Wonderland.)

Futuristic Books

Unwind by Neal Shusterman (Each book leaves your eyes wide and your mouth hanging open. Warning: Some people find this series a little disturbing, but it is INCREDIBLE! It follows the perspectives of different characters in each chapter, which I love, in a society where teenagers can be “unwound” if they are deemed as unnecessary or useless to the world.)

Starters by Lisa Price (I kid you not- I sat down and read this for seven hours straight! In a society where middle-aged people have been poisoned in the war, children are treated like criminals by elders. Teenager Callie goes as far as selling her body for elder donors to “borrow” in order to earn money for her sick brother, until she finds out her body is being used to commit a murder.)

Matched by Ally Condie (This series also includes romance! P.S. I’ve read this book five times! It’s very poetic and symbolic, following the story of a girl in a society where you can’t really make any choices for yourself, even when it comes to marriage, but a boy she can’t have shows her the wonders that have taken away from her world.)

Paranormal Books

Asylum by Madeleine Roux (A little spooky, but also really interesting! If you love the paranormal and psychology, this series may just be for you as it follows the disturbances that occured inside of an old asylum.)

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs (A classic, well-known book, following a boy as he discovers a place where children have special abilities. The interesting thing about this series is that the author uses real pictures from the past to inspire her writing, and includes them in the book.)

Allyson is a graduate from Susquehanna University with a Bachelor of Science in Luxury Brand Marketing and Management. Outside of the classroom, she could be found writing articles for Her Campus, teaching ballet, and singing showtunes.
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University