What Would HE Rather See You Wear?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Oftentimes when I am getting dressed in the morning or getting ready for a big night out on the town, I look in the mirror and consider what it is that I am wearing. Some trends, lets face it, are a little crazy, and definitely take courage to wear out of your house. While a lot of girls dress to impress other fashionable girls, have you ever considered what your boyfriend or group of guy friends are thinking of your outfit as you are stepping out on a Friday night? While you may think that wearing sky-high heels and a mini-skirt may be sexy, guys surprisingly do not always feel the same way. I surveyed a group of guys to see which trends they would rather see us girls wearing. And let me tell you, the results may surprise you!

1. What type of sunglasses would you rather see a girl wear?

WAYFARER                                      AVIATOR                                                OVERSIZED

VS.
VS.

On a sunny fall afternoon, breaking out a cute pair of sunglasses is an easy way to accessorize your outfit. Well, its time to DITCH the oversized, bug-eyed sunglasses ladies! After surveying guys on which style of shades they would rather see a girl wearing around campus, there was a tie between the classic look of wayfarers and aviators.

Mike, a sophomore at UMASS Amherst, said that wayfarers and aviators are both good options, because the wayfarer “throwback style and shape really looks good with anything.” He also said girls who can rock a pair of aviators “just ooze confidence.”

Although it depends on your face shape for which style of sunglasses to go with, Mike is right, they are both classic looks that look good with any outfit.

2. Big scarves or big necklaces?

VS.                    

Even though a lot of guys say that they find shiny necklaces and jewelry to be eye-catching and attractive when worn with the right outfit, big scarves were the clear winner. Only one guy voted that they would rather see a girl wearing a statement necklace. Obviously you would choose a nice piece of jewelry over a big cozy scarf for a party, but when it comes to class or just a casual lunch date with your boyfriend, scarves are the preferred neckwear for girls from the male perspective.

“I like when girls wear scarves because they are simple and cute,” said Rob, a junior at Suffolk. The boys were all in agreement that even though big necklaces are flashy and unique, they only appear to be irritating our necks. When wearing a scarf, they think that we look and act a lot more comfortable!

3. Solid colored pants or printed pants?

VS.        

This year, branching out from just your average pair of denim skinny jeans has been all the rage. In the spring, it was the lightly colored floral prints and corals that made their debut on pants everywhere. Now that it is fall, the darker colored purple and orange jeans are lining the walls of our favorite stores. So, what do guys have to say about the crazy jean trend?

“Solid colored pants… print pants just look stupid,” said Nick, a sophomore at Suffolk. This was the unanimous decision throughout the group of guys. It seems as though guys do not appreciate the printed pant trend as much as stores like H&M or Urban Outfitters do.

“Printed jeans are ugly… there is nothing more to say about it.” –Ryan, Junior at Holy Cross

H&M recently launched their fall collection of pants; creatively titled, “The Pants Collection.” This collection features all different fits and flares of crazy colored and printed jeans. Urban Outfitters is practically famous for having unique patterns of pants throughout their stores. But, save your pennies, girls, because guys prefer you to be sporting a subtler look. Many of the guys, including Northeastern sophomore James, added that wearing white jeans or shorts is an automatic attention grabber. That is, of course, if you are willing to break the “no white pants after labor day” rule.

[pagebreak]

4. Combat boots or riding boots?

VS.        

The guys were split on this one. Their decisions depended on which boot was more their own personal style. The group who chose riding boots thought that they overall looked more professional and clean cut, while the guys who thought the combat boots were a better look liked them because they were more unique and edgy. Nick M., a sophomore at Suffolk, said that he liked the look of combat boots because, “they look more creative and not as simple.”

Though majority, by only one vote, said riding boots looked better, some didn’t like either style. Nick L., a sophomore at Suffolk, thought that, “one looks like G.I. Joe while the other looks like Jessie from Toy Story.” I suppose you’ll just have to pick your poison, ladies.

5. Yes or no to animal print?

Wearing small pops of leopard print has to be one of my favorite trends right now. My iPhone case is leopard, I wear my leopard-print flats at least once a week, and my room wouldn’t be complete without the leopard-print Snuggie (no shame) that my brother got me for Christmas last year. I love adding this trend to an outfit that would otherwise be simple, keeping in mind, the rule behind animal print. This rule states: do not go too crazy with it! Luckily, college guys agree with me!

Wearing animal print is one thing, but dressing like Snooki with all-over cheetah and zebra prints is another. Unless it is Halloween, guys agree that animal prints are O.K. in small doses, but are still not their favorite trend.

“I like when a girl wears animal print, as long as she doesn’t wear too much of it at the same time. I don’t want to be walking around Boston with a girl who looks like she is auditioning for ‘The Cheetah Girls.’” -Rob, a Junior at Suffolk.

6. Leather or denim jacket?

VS.       

And the winner is… Leather! While this may the outcome of our survey, it depends on how you, as the girl, want the guy to perceive you. Most guys would agree with Devin, a junior at Northeastern, when he stated, “leather is hotter, and denim is cuter.” Bridgewater State freshman, Jake, explained, “there is just something about jackets that just screams; I am cooler than you,” which is a sure sign of confidence to men.

I think it also depends on where you will be sporting the jacket. If its a jacket being worn to class, I would go with the denim, for most of the guys said that the leather is a “fancier” look. So save the leather for nighttime wear ladies!
[pagebreak]

7. Flats or Heels?

VS.    

This one will probably be the most shocking for girls to hear, but maybe not. Guys seem to prefer flats on girls over heels, especially at parties! “I’d rather you wear flip-flops than have to carry you home cause your feet are destroyed,” said Devin, a Northeastern sophomore. 

Nobody (male nor female) wants to hear you complaining all night about a stupid decision you made to wear heels, especially walking around a city like Boston. Here in Boston, you know you will be walking up and down the signature brick and coble stone streets to get to your destination.

Of course there are also the guys who do think that heels are much sexier than flats. Adam, a sophomore at Suffolk, likes that heels “show off a girls legs…and give a nice lean muscle definition!”

Heels do make your legs look longer, especially in a cute dress or skirt, but according to most guys, they would rather see (and hear) you being more comfortable in flats any day! Unless you and your feet are willing to make a commitment, ditch the stilettos when you’re leaving your dorm.

TIP: A lot of times my friends and I will take pictures beforehand in heels and then wear flats or sandals to the actual party. Pictures taken before a party are very likely more flattering than pictures taken at the party anyways!

8. Would you rather see a girl wearing a skirt or a pair of jeans to a party?

As expected, guys enjoy seeing girls dressed up on the weekends. This goes especially for schools where girls sporting the sweatpants look to class is a daily occurrence. Guys want to see that you put in some effort and had fun getting dressed up to go out on the weekends.

“It’s an excuse for people to dress up and dress differently than they normally would. So when a girl wears a nice skirt or dress, they look really great,” said Mike, a sophomore at UMass.

“Def wear a skirt… it shows some skin and looks sexier!” -Adam, a sophomore at Suffolk.

Friday only comes around once a week, you know! Take advantage of the weekend nights, and dress accordingly when leaving your dorm or apartment. Be careful ladies, skirts that are too short and tight can be a turn-off! “Skirts and dresses that are tight and revealing are a bit much for some parties,” says Vassar sophomore Rogin. Guys love to see girls in dresses, as long as they keep it classy.

Maybe college guys are a little more fashion savvy then we thought!

Name: Julie GrasseyMajor: Public Relations and JournalismAcademic year: 2015A lover of all things fashion, live music, Starbucks, photography, dancing, playing guitar, Cheez-its, and reading my daily horoscope, I am currently a junior at Suffolk University in Boston. Other than being a full time student and HerCampus contributer, I am also a blogger and campus representative for Rent the Runway, as well as an intern for the Boston Ballet! My goal is to move to New York City after graduation and get a job planning events or styling photo shoots for a major fashion magazine or designer. This is my second semester writing for the News and Blog section of HerCampus Suffolk!