Twitter Compares Dr. Ford’s Testimony to Scene from The Handmaid’s Tale, and the Internet is Shook

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

On Thursday, September 27th, both Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh and his sexual assault accuser Dr. Christine Blasey Ford testified at a public hearing in front of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

While watching the historic hearing, TV writer and Twitter personality Aaron Fullerton drew an eerie connection between Ford’s testimony and a scene from the Hulu series, The Handmaid’s Tale. He tweeted a photo from Capitol Hill photoshopped next to a still of a government meeting in the show. The resemblance between the two images is clear; both show a panel of white men in suits looking sternly forward.

“One of these is from today’s hearing. The other is a still from The Handmaid’s Tale,” Fullerton wrote on Twitter. “Big props to all the fun people who don’t realize the point is that it’s a bunch of powerful, protected white men deciding the fate of women.”

The scene from The Handmaid’s Tale that Fullerton referenced shows a group of women pleading in front of an all-male council for the right to learn to read and write. People are drawing similarities between Serena Joy Waterford, the protagonist of the show, and Dr. Ford.

The 51-year-old psychologist and professor at Palo Alto University testified that Kavanaugh, 53, tried to sexually assault her at a high school party in the 1980’s.

Ford said that since her story became public, her greatest fears have been realized; her and her family have been targets of harassment and have received multiple death threats.

“I am here today not because I want to be. I am terrified,” said Ford, tearfully. “I am here because I believe it is my civic duty to tell you what happened to me while Brett Kavanaugh and I were in high school.”

Julia Demopoulos is a senior at Suffolk University majoring in print/web journalism and minoring in public relations. She is originally from Dracut, MA but currently resides in East Boston. In addition to being a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Suffolk, Julia is also the Vice President for Program Council, Suffolk's programming board on campus. She is also an active member of Suffolk's Journey Leadership Program. Julia works in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions as a Trustee Ambassador (tour guide), and was an Orientation leader for Summer 2019.