Top 13 Movies to Get You in the Spooky Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

The leaves are changing. The weather is getting cooler. There is a certain air following everyone around that makes you want to stay in, bundle up, and watch your favorite Halloween classics. With so many movies to choose from, it can be hard to know where to start. To help you out, here are my top 13 must watch movies for October, from family favorites to heart stopping horror! 

It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (1966) G 

This cute cartoon is sure to bring back the warm feelings of childhood nostalgia. It brings back the happy memories of sitting with Linus and Lucy for the afternoon as they wait for the mythical Great Pumpkin. 

Corpse bride (2005) PG 

Tim Burton’s beautiful stop motion animated film will make you ponder the idea of undying love while watching Emily and Victor’s story unfold. The dark color pallet of this movie combined with the trip to the Land of the Dead will match the incoming fall feelings perfectly. 

Coraline (2009) PG 

Anyone from the ages of 4 and 99 could feel goosebumps crawling up their arms when they put Coraline on for the first time. Coraline Jones has to deal with her odd neighbors, a talking cat, and the evil mirror world that resides on the other side of a sealed tunnel in her new house. This movie only seems to get better with each watch, and is perfect to add to your watchlist this October.  

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) PG 

When a busy California city is taken over by murderous, alien plants, it’s up to Donald Sutherland (President Snow from the Hunger Games) and a very handsome, young Jeff Goldblum to save the city. It is a truly unforgettable movie.  

Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) R 

When thinking of scary movies, Nightmare on Elm Street is probably one of the first that comes to mind, and for good reason! A group of teens is stalked and slowly killed off by Freddy Krueger, an evil man with razor edged knives for hands. Not only does the action start almost immediately, but nothing is scarier than a killer that can find you even in your dreams!  

Midsommar (2019) R 

The perfect cult movie, Midsommar brings an intense new twist to the classic idea of what horror means. A warning to the faint of heart, this movie is graphic and gory!! However, this is one of the best movies to make friends watch with you, especially if you’ve already seen it before. Watching their reactions will be almost as great as watching the movie itself! 

Scream (1996) R 

This classic slasher film is a fan favorite. From the iconic Ghostface to one of the most shocking reveals ever, this movie couldn’t get any better. If that’s not enough to convince you, you might feel different after seeing Billy Loomis. 

Halloween (1978) R 

As cliche as it seems, this really is the ultimate movie to watch this month. What could be better than watching a slasher that takes place on Halloween on Halloween? With the added bonus of Jamie Lee Curtis, this movie should definitely take its place as the grand finale on your list! 

The Others (2001) PG-13 

Despite having a lower age rating than some of the earlier movies, The Others stands out with its many dark, ominous shots. When a woman moves to a rural house in England with her two photosensitive children, she experiences many haunting events that keep everyone in suspense. This movie is shocking and sure to keep you at the edge of your seat the whole way through! 

The Conjuring (2013) R 

This movie follows the Perron family as they attempt to rid their home of the ghost that haunts them with the help of paranormal experts, Ed and Lorraine Warren. Like Midsommar, this is another movie that is super fun to rewatch with people that have never seen it before! 

Hereditary (2018) R 

When Ari Aster’s first big horror movie came out in 2018, it was all people could talk about. It explores the dynamic of a family dealing with an unimaginable trauma while adding small, shocking twists and turns along the way. It will leave you questioning everything you’ve just seen and ready for a rewatch. 

The Descent (2005) R 

This movie, while less known than the others on this list, is sure to leave you with chills. Taking place in the depths of an unexplored cave, a group of friends attempts to survive not only the elements, but something more sinister that crawls in the shadows all around them. 

The Blair Witch Project (1999) R 

The Blair Witch Project is the epitome of found footage horror. A group of friends enter the woods to search for the local legend, Blair Witch. With shaky camera shots and a fast paced plot, this movie will have you jaw dropped and uneasy.  

Ella Jenkins

Suffolk '26

Ella is a freshman at Suffolk University planning to major in Psychology. She enjoys reading, watching horror movies, and going to new places.