This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Outfit repeating.

The negative stigma around the idea of re-wearing the same outfit during a week helps fuel consumerism and tempt us to buy more clothes we don’t need. Fortunately, today more people are embracing the ‘less is more’ minimalist mindset with their fashion through capsule wardrobes.

So, what is a capsule wardrobe?

A capsule wardrobe is essentially a mini wardrobe that consists of your favorite items, that are able to be remixed regularly for an entire season. It is recommended to have a maximum of 40 pieces to make it easier to get dressed for the day by limiting the number of options available. The main purpose of a capsule wardrobe is to shop less,and more intentionally.

When starting a capsule wardrobe, it’s important to invest in good quality items that are able to stand the test of time. Although it may sound absurd to invest tons of money into a simple item or piece, these staples will never go out of style. Good isn’t cheap and cheap isn’t good.

Surprisingly enough, there are several benefits for having a capsule wardrobe aside from a fashionable approach. One being with a minimal amount of clothes, time deciding on an outfit is reduced and makes choosing an outfit easier in the morning. Another important factor of having a capsule wardrobe is the more sustainable approach to fashion by owning good quality timeless pieces, as it is less likely they will end up in a landfill.

Why is this important?

Sustainability has recently become a bigger urge in fashion.

Today, numerous shoppers purchase clothing from cheap online retail stores or fast fashion companies that damage the planet due to the excessive amount of waste it contributes to. Fast fashion leaves an enormous environmental footprint from both the production and disposal.

During the fast fashion clothing production, an enormous amount of energy and resources is being used with toxic chemicals and dyes that create a tenth of the world’s carbon emissions.

According to greenamerica.org, on average nearly 62.5% of textiles sent to landfills, while only 14.5% gets recycled. It can take well over 200+ years for the materials to decompose in a landfill, and often generate greenhouse methane gas that pollutes our planet.

So next time when shopping, try to be more conscious and consider starting your own capsule wardrobe.