This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Thousands of women’s rights advocates marched in Washington, D.C., and other cities across the U.S. over the past weekend urging for reproductive rights soon.

The abortion law, Texas’ Heartbeat Act (SB 8), went into effect September 1st, after the Supreme Court rejected a request by Texas abortion providers to block the law. This new legislation allows for any private citizen to sue someone who performs an abortion past the six-week period.

The annual Women’s March was held on October 2nd , which was chosen near the start of the U.S. Supreme Court’s new term on Monday.

The Washington March began at Freedom Plaza and continued along Pennsylvania Avenue toward the Supreme Court building. The march was organized by dozens of groups including Planned Parenthood Federation of America and Abortion Care Network.

This is the fifth annual Women’s March and the first debuted the day after former President Trump’s inauguration, where more than a million people gathered in various locations across the U.S. to advocate for women’s rights.