Superbowl: How to Throw the Perfect Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

From the pregame show, the puppy bowl, the half time show and the commercials, to the last few seconds on the clock when everyone is on the edge of their seat, the Superbowl is a great excuse for college students to get crazy. It just gives another excuse to “forget” the homework we have due tomorrow and maybe skip that 9 AM class to party it up with friends and live in the moment. The hard part is deciding on what Superbowl party to go to or if you should even host it yourself. If you decide to host a Superbowl party, here are some tips to make yours the best:

1. The Space: It all depends on how many people you are having over to your place. Unless you are able to get more chairs, it is safe to invite only a few more people than you have space for. It is not fun if you have to sit on the floor the whole game. So either, make sure you have carpet on the floor or extra pillows people can sit on. Also, you could get some table clothes that are football themed.
  2. The Drinks: Have people bring their own drinks. This saves you money and people can’t complain that you don’t have what they wanted. Do provide a few mixers or options for people who do not want to drink. Here are some cute mixed drink ideas for the team you are cheering for: http://cocktails.about.com/od/gamedaypartiesdrinks/ss/Super-Bowl-XLVIII-Cocktail-Menus.htm.
  3. The Food: This is one of the highlights of going to/hosting a Superbowl party. Have everyone bring something. As a college student not everyone is made of money, and this helps split the expenses. The key for all Superbowl food is to make everything finger food. This is easy so that people can grab what they want and not have to worry about using silverware. Have some people bring desserts: cookies, cupcakes, or brownies. Have others bring chips and dip, a pizza, or a fruit/vegetable tray. Some great items to have are, chicken tenders with different dipping sauces or premade BBQ pulled pork or chicken from Trader Joe’s to make mini sliders. But above all, do not forget the WINGS. That’s a staple at any Superbowl party. For more food ideas go to: http://www.celebrations.com/c/ultimate-super-bowl-party-guide. Also, make sure you have a good area for the food that is easy for everyone to access. You can’t watch football on an empty stomach.
  4. Paper and Plastic: It is way easier for everyone to use plastic cups and paper plates at a Superbowl party. Not only is it easier for you to clean up, but it helps prevent broken glass and missing plates. You can use plates or cups with football designs on them or get the colors of the teams. This can add on to your décor of your place.
  5. Activities: Make some drinking games for your guests or betting options. Look at http://www.celebrations.com/c/ultimate-super-bowl-party-guide for some ideas. There are many options: some for the diehard fans, for the commercial lovers, and for the Puppy Bowl lovers.

Make your place inviting and help your guests feel at home. Just keep it simple and informal. Everyone will have fun no matter what….unless of course they lose a lot of money in bets.

Ellie Hawkins is a graduate of Suffolk University. She received a BA with Magna Cum Laude honors in print journalism. Ellie is an alumni of Theta Phi Alpha-Gamma Lambda chapter. During her time at Suffolk she was involved with The Suffolk Journal and the Journey Program. Journey is a leadership program that focuses on four focal points: leadership training, involvement, career exploration and service. She volunteered at the Paulist Center Soup kitchen and is still doing so today. Ellie recently went to El Salvador, in January, to help with Habitat for Humanity through her schools Alternative Winter Break program. Ellie enjoys photography, skiing, golf, and watching movies in her free time. Ellie is fortunate enough to live in one of the best cities in the world: Boston. This city provides her with many opportunities from having a marketing internship at the Franklin Park Zoo to taking long walks on the Charles river and exploring the city. She also had the opportunity to study abroad in Madrid in the summer of 2013 at the other Suffolk University location. My dream job is to either travel while writing about the different experiences I have or have a job at Discovery Communications in the PR department.