Suffolk University’s Best Buddies Friendship Festival

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Best Buddies held their first event in the Ridgeway Gym this past Sunday, September 30, 2012, from 12pm-3pm. Best Buddies is a non-profit organization that helps out those who have intellectual and developmental disabilities, by creating a close friendship with them. At the event, the buddies and students ate lunch provided by Sodexo, and talked about their day or anything that interested the buddy.

The buddies enjoyed telling the students about their life. For example, José was raving about how much he loved his mother! Bob was even kind enough to draw a picture of me, which was so sweet!

The event was “carnival” themed. This meant it was a day full of the students and their buddies playing basketball, board games, coloring pictures/drawing, playing bingo, or posing with a funny mask. There even was cotton candy for desert!

Haley Ford, the President of Best Buddies, says, “Although people may feel uneasy about joining Best Buddies because it’s unfamiliar, it is a very beneficial activity, because you feel so positive after.” This is Haley’s first year with Best Buddies at Suffolk, but she has been with Best Buddies since high school. She knows how much dedication and patience it takes to work with these buddies. Everyone at the carnival was so helpful to each individual at the event by encouraging the buddies to get up and have come fun! By joining best buddies, people have the opportunity to interact with fellow students and people with disabilities. To find out more about upcoming events, follow them on:

Facebook: Best Buddies Suffolk University
Twitter: @SUBestBuddies
E-mail: bestbuddiessuffolkuniversity@gmail.com

Check out the lovely buddies below:

Name: Emily Lopez Major: English Academic Year: 2015 Editorial Team