Suffolk Greek Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

The houses, the hazing, the parties, the stereotypes; pop culture gives us a certain view on Greek life. Brothers are the cute guys that every kid wants to be, and Sisters are the pretty girls that everyone wants to be friends with.

Not every Greek stereotype is true though. Yes, at some of the biggest schools across the nation, Greek life is really extensive. They have rows of houses, a tough pledge process, and insane parties. However, at a small school like Suffolk, the sororities and fraternity on campus are trying to change the view of what it means to wear Greek letters.

I am proud to say that I am one of the newest initiated members of Theta Phi Alpha, one of the sororities here on campus.  When I was first being initiated many people asked me why I would want to be in a sorority. They, like most people, had the stereotypical view on sororities; that I would be hazed and I was “buying friends.” At first I was skeptical too, but I went with my gut, and decided to accept a bid. It was then that I really learned about Theta Phi Alpha, as well as the other Greek life here and how it is very positive on our campus.

For one thing, hazing is strictly prohibited. There are countless horror stories all over the news of hazing at other campuses here in Boston and all over the country.  Some of these incidents can lead to severe injuries and even death. Potential brothers and sisters are hazed everyday, all in attempt of becoming a part of an organization.

This is not the case at Suffolk. The policy is strict, and every single member takes it seriously. Theta Phi Alpha is very nonjudgmental. There isn’t a certain way a girl needs to look or act to be part of this organization. Anyone and everyone are always welcomed.

Theta Phi Alpha is also very strong when it comes to academics and scholarship.  They have very high standards, and are helpful with scholarships later on. All girls must maintain a certain GPA to be a part of the chapter and an even higher one to be part of the executive board. Currently Suffolk’s chapter of Theta Phi holds the highest GPA of all of Greek life on campus.

Philanthropy and community service are two values that Suffolk Greek life lives by.  Every month, there are various sessions of community service and philanthropy. The Greeks can always be found helping out on Suffolk University’s “SU Service Day” and around Boston. Theta Phi Alpha’s website says, “Part of our responsibility as Theta Phi Alphas is to care for and to make a commitment to those who are less fortunate than ourselves. Advancing philanthropic interests is a part of Theta Phi Alpha’s mission, and such interest is promoted throughout the collegiate experience and beyond, during the alumnal years.”

The best thing, I feel, about Greek life, is the lifelong friendships you make with your brothers and sisters. In the short time I have been part of the organization I was welcomed in with open arms. Everyone is such a good friend to each other, and each one holds very strong values. The constant support, laughter, loyalty, and smiles are enough to verify my decision.

Not every stereotype out there is true. All the things you hear about sororities and fraternities don’t hold true for every organization out there. Suffolk is a small campus, but the Greek life on campus is doing big, and positive things.

Stephanie is the Business Development Coordinator at Her Campus Media . A graduate of Suffolk University, Stephanie held the position of secretary at the HC Suffolk chapter and lived the real life "Pitch Perfect" as business manager of her a cappella group the Suffolk Ramifications. Before joining the Her Campus team, Stephanie held positions in experiential marketing and public relations. In her free time you can find her with family & friends, sitting with a good book, getting stressed out over football & hockey or hunting down the best gluten free food Boston has to offer. 
Originally from Connecticut, Erica attends Suffolk University in Boston, Massachusetts. She is a senior, majoring in public relations, and minoring in marketing. She founded Suffolk's chapter of Her Campus along with co-Campus Correspondent, Mackenzie Newcomb. has interned at a few start-up companies including Quincy Apparel and Good to Go Organics. She was also a public relations intern at Regan Communications Group, and is currently the advertising/marketing intern at The Improper Bostonian Magazine. Erica also works on Newbury Street at Jack Wills University Outfitters, a British clothing company that is expanding across America. She is very interested in the world of fashion, and hopes to make it big doing marketing/PR for a fashion magazine or as a publicist in New York City or LA upon graduation. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, hanging out with friends, going to the beach, reading, writing, and dancing.