Study Abroad Blog: Fashion Do’s and Don’t to Studying Abroad!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

How to Avoid Looking Like a Tourist While Studying Abroad
I have now been studying abroad in Italy for two months, and I have already learned so much about the difference between American style and European style. I have therefore come to the conclusion that European style is far superior; Italians simply know how to dress! So keeping that in mind, I have compiled a list (with pictures!) of style do’s and don’ts , which you may use while studying abroad, visiting Europe, or even in your everyday life! Enjoy!

DON’T

Fanny packs – Must I explain why this is a bad idea? You’d be surprised to see that so many tourists still insist on wearing them!

Uggs – Europeans do not wear Uggs, because they are “ugg-ly.” Simple as that.

Short skintight clothing – Europe is more liberal with the amount of fabric used in clothing. In other words, if you dress like distastefully here, you will be treated distastefully here!

North Face – Although it does fit in with the European’s traditional wardrobe of black, black, and more black, it will immediately mark you as an American, and not in a good way.

Labels – Any labels, be it brand or university, are a no no.

Flip Flops – Not only will they mark you as a tourist, but they also could be the death of you. There is nothing more treacherous than walking on wet cobblestones in flip flops!

Obnoxious backpacks – They just scream, “Pickpocket me!”

Bright white sneakers – No. Just…no.

[pagebreak]

DO’S

Boots – European women, Italians especially, love their boots. Bring a pair with you, and then buy more abroad!

Black pea coats – This should be a wardrobe staple no matter what country you are in.

Messenger bags – Cross body bags are a must to keep your belongings safe.

Converse – As many pairs as you can afford, in as many colors as you can imagine!

Grecian sandals – Bonus points if you bought them in Greece!

Layers! – The weather can be unpredictable, so chic layers are a necessity.

Scarves – They are the cheapest and chicest way to change up your wardrobe.

PR major, Class of 2015.