diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Sticking to Your New Year’s Resolution Past the First Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

With the new year comes all of your New Year’s resolutions, but how long will you actually stick to the resolutions you made. Of the 317 million adults in the United States, only 1 in 2.2 make a New Year’s resolution. Of these, only 1 in 8 or 17.8 million will keep it for a year. But don’t lose hope if you are unable to keep your resolution for the year. People who make a New Year’s resolution are 10 times more likely to change their lives in one way or another than those who don’t. If you are able to keep your resolution for 6 weeks or more it will become more natural to your daily routine. Here are some tips to help keep your resolution:

1. Be Realistic: Making a goal that is unattainable will only make it harder for you to keep it. For example, making a goal to never eat sweets again is just not realistic. A more realistic option would be to make better choices with your sweets. For example, instead of eating ice cream, go for the frozen Greek yogurt.

2. Plan Ahead: Don’t plan your resolution on New Year’s Eve. If you really want to make one, think it out completely, even if it is after New Years. This gives you time to plan out what you want to do and how.

3. Outline Your Plan: Decide how you will deal with the temptation to skip that exercise class or have that extra-large slice of pizza. Some of your help could include calling on a friend for help, practicing positive thinking, or reminding yourself how your slip will affect your goal.

4. Make a Pros and Cons List: It may help to see a list of items on paper to keep your motivation strong. Develop this list over time, and ask others to contribute to it. Keep your list with you, and refer to it when you need help keeping your resolve. 

5. Talk About It: Don’t keep your resolution a secret. Tell friends and family about your resolve to change yourself for the better or to improve your health. The best-case scenario is to find someone who has the same New Year’s resolution and motivate each other. Talking about it helps you stay motivated. 

6. Reward Yourself: This does not mean that you can eat an entire carton of ice cream if your resolution is to eat healthier. Instead, celebrate your success by getting yourself something you would enjoy that does not ruin your resolution: new weights, new workout clothing, or a new magic bullet for smoothies.

7. Track Your Progress: Keep track of each small success. Short-term goals are easier to keep, and each small accomplishment will help keep you motivated. Keep a journal to help you stay on track.

8. Don’t Beat Yourself Up: Becoming obsessive and talking down to yourself over the occasional slip won’t help you achieve your goal. Each day is a new day, so try to do the best you can day by day. Take one day at a time.

9. Stick to It: Experts say it takes about 21 days for a new activity to become a habit, and six months for it to become part of your personality. It won’t happen overnight. Be persistent and patient.

10. Keep Trying: If you have run out of motivation to stick to your resolution by mid-February, don’t be upset. Start over again! Re-commit yourself for 24 hours. Anyone can do anything for 24 hours. The 24-hour days will soon build on each other, and before you know it you will be on track again.

Ellie Hawkins is a graduate of Suffolk University. She received a BA with Magna Cum Laude honors in print journalism. Ellie is an alumni of Theta Phi Alpha-Gamma Lambda chapter. During her time at Suffolk she was involved with The Suffolk Journal and the Journey Program. Journey is a leadership program that focuses on four focal points: leadership training, involvement, career exploration and service. She volunteered at the Paulist Center Soup kitchen and is still doing so today. Ellie recently went to El Salvador, in January, to help with Habitat for Humanity through her schools Alternative Winter Break program. Ellie enjoys photography, skiing, golf, and watching movies in her free time. Ellie is fortunate enough to live in one of the best cities in the world: Boston. This city provides her with many opportunities from having a marketing internship at the Franklin Park Zoo to taking long walks on the Charles river and exploring the city. She also had the opportunity to study abroad in Madrid in the summer of 2013 at the other Suffolk University location. My dream job is to either travel while writing about the different experiences I have or have a job at Discovery Communications in the PR department.