Six Common Happiness Myths Proven Wrong

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

We all have those little things in life that are bound to boost our mood, but when it comes to true happiness there are a few misconceptions.

The meaning of happiness is not considered an emotion for philosophers. The Greek word, Eudaimonia, which translates to “happiness,” carries the connotation of success and fulfillment.

“We become what we do.” -Aristotle

Once I Have ‘X’ I’ll be Happy

We are all victims of this! Whether it is losing 5 pounds, acing a class, getting a job or finding a boyfriend. Of course, achieving that goal will make you happy—but don’t be unhappy until you reach it. Every time you reach a benchmark, your brain just starts looking toward a new one, says author Shawn Achor, who is known for his positive psychology. Although it is great to stay positive and set goals, irrational optimism isn’t ideal. Focus on being positive and realistic in the present, rather than being on edge until you reach your certain milestone. The bottom line is, life won’t magically be perfect once you get a boyfriend… dare I use the cliché, “ the grass isn’t always greener on the other side.”

Avoid Pessimists At All Costs

The perception that your negative friends will only bring you down is not a reason to cut ties. Negativity is as equally contagious as positivity. According to Achor, the most communicative person—both verbally and nonverbally—has the most influence. Make it your mission to perk them up by starting positive conversations and responding in an optimistic and upbeat manner. When you find them dwelling on a certain situation that they believe is unlikely is to succeed, ask, “what’s the worst that could happen?” Or ask them if they could tolerate the consequences if it failed. Encouraging optimism will definitely help flip their view around. 

Stay Positive

Solely focusing on positive thoughts and emotions often backfires and produces stress. Though you don’t want to be known as the Debbie-downer as mentioned in #2, you have to allow yourself to feel emotion at times, instead of blocking it out. If you’re homesick, missing someone, or something is causing you stress, let it out. The Buddhist-inspired idea of “non-attachment,” which follows the belief that letting negative emotions arise and pass, and resisting the urge avoid emotion is often more productive.  

Exercise Only Gives You Short-Term Happiness Boosts

A good sweat session has more benefits than you know! Though working out does cause an energy boost from the brain releasing endorphins, it isn’t just a short-term effect.

Fun Fact: Studies show that exercise improves blood flow and oxygen delivery to the brain, and lowers the risk for conditions that can be initiated by poor lifestyle choices. Exercise also plays a crucial role in helping to prevent regenerative conditions like Alzheimer’s disease. (http://www.ahealthiertomorrow.org)

The next time you find yourself procrastinating on your gym visits, consider its short and long-term benefits for your whole persona. Achor explains, “Exercise works so well because it’s a gateway drug. You start believing that your behavior matters.”

Ambitious Goals Are The Key To Success

This is another over-pursuit of goals dogma that has the potential to backfire. Setting goals is great, but having too much on your plate is not. A focus on goals that is too vigorous can cause a variety of unintended consequences. Moreover, singling out one variable for maximization can distort your organization and/or your connection to others.

You Can’t Buy Happiness

In a way, you actually can! Splurging on experiences rather than materialistic items is proven to boost your level of happiness. Traveling, the ultimate way to buy happiness is expensive for our student budgets; however, a spontaneous Groupon trip, or a semester abroad will definitely do the trick!

Also, try switching the way you spend. Studies show that most people are happier when they give. It doesn’t have to be much—it can be as simple as having a get together with friends, getting your roommate her favorite treat, or donating to a charity. 

Originally from Connecticut, Erica attends Suffolk University in Boston, Massachusetts. She is a senior, majoring in public relations, and minoring in marketing. She founded Suffolk's chapter of Her Campus along with co-Campus Correspondent, Mackenzie Newcomb. has interned at a few start-up companies including Quincy Apparel and Good to Go Organics. She was also a public relations intern at Regan Communications Group, and is currently the advertising/marketing intern at The Improper Bostonian Magazine. Erica also works on Newbury Street at Jack Wills University Outfitters, a British clothing company that is expanding across America. She is very interested in the world of fashion, and hopes to make it big doing marketing/PR for a fashion magazine or as a publicist in New York City or LA upon graduation. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, hanging out with friends, going to the beach, reading, writing, and dancing.