Singer/Songwriter: Christine Galanté

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Singer/songwriter, and freshmen here at Suffolk University, Christine Galanté was raised in a small suburban town in central Massachusetts. When she was just three years old, her mom took her to see the Nutcracker. “I started to cry as the Sugarplum Fairy danced across the stage in the finale…the next day my mom signed me up for ballet. I was destined to be involved with the arts in some way or another,” Christine told me. She also began community theater at a young age, and continued dancing for eight years.

Christine also grew up listening to her mother’s records and her father’s classical guitar playing. When she was eight years old, she asked her mother for mix tapes so that she could record her own demos; she was set on getting a record deal. Christine informed me that she would sit in her bedroom for hours upon hours, free-styling songs about love, friends, or whatever fit into the pop music realm. In fourth grade, Christine began playing the guitar, and memorized the entire Avril Lavigne album. In sixth grade, she began writing her first real songs on the guitar. Music most definitely plays a huge role in Christine’s life.

“I was tortured in middle school. I’ve always felt like the outsider, and I’d never label myself as a part of a clique. Girls still aren’t my best friends- but I have music. Music has never made fun of me, or told me I couldn’t be something. It’s only opened doors, and helped me discover where I want to be. I learned to stand on my own, and be my own person. My songs have been the only place I can “say” something and have it be acceptable-because it was music. Now I’m a fearless writer. Most of my songs are about lost love; after my parents divorced I couldn’t help but be inspired by life’s downfalls, and I look at life differently. Break my heart or influence my thoughts in any way, and I can guarantee there will be a little black ink revenge,”- Christine Galanté

Me: What led you to chose Suffolk?

Christine:I wanted to be in Boston my first year. Okay, that’s a lie. I wanted to be in New York City, and for a little while, Nashville, Tennessee. When the school I wanted to attend in NYC didn’t give me any money, I accepted that staying in Boston for one more year wouldn’t be the end of the world. Suffolk happened to work out, and I even got to perform in Fall Fest here, which was a blast!!! It was close to home, but I’m ready to get my feet wet somewhere else.

Me: Who is your favorite singer/musical inspiration?

Christine: I’m inspired by any musician who has put effort into creating a name for themselves, who can record a really badass record, or who can put on a bangin’ live set. My inspirations are Juliet Simms and Lady Gaga. So many people roll their eyes at Gaga, and the other half follow her like a religion. She may make mainstream music, which tends to be frowned upon by the hipsters of this generation, but she really knows what she’s doing. It inspires me that she went to NYU, played shows any nights she could, and got a record deal for being a songwriter and a performer all in one. She also encourages individuality – which is my main mission. She’s my queen.

Not too many people have heard of Juliet Simms unless you’re familiar with The Warped Tour scene (Automatic Loveletter is her band), but they will. I was blessed enough to co-write a song with her when I was sixteen, called “Broken Wings.” I died. died. Her vocals, her style, and her songwriting are like nothing you’ve ever tasted before. Watch her on NBC’s The Voice. TEAM CEELOOOO!
Also, Ellie Goulding influenced my latest single “Dreamland.” And for the record, I LOVE pop music. OH, and Ryan Adams has inspired and improved my songwriting IMMENSELY. I’m all over the place.

Me: Favorite Genre of Music?

Christine: I listen to all styles of music; I’m definitely not locked into a certain genre. I’ve always been drawn to folk music; Jenny Lewis and Conor Oberst are my heroes for that scene. I love Kanye West; I think he’s a genius. Lana Del Rey’s new album is my life in mp3 form right about now. I listen to Nirvana on rainy days. I dance around to Beyonce. JoJo is my homegirl. Country and blues really consumed me for a while too. Music is a mood.

Me: Have you done any live shows yet? If you have any upcoming, when are they?

Christine: I’ve played shows at All Asia in Cambridge and was featured in the Boston Globe when I was sixteen, for a cause called Emerge Music. That felt SO cool! I’ve also performed at coffee houses, school events, Border’s Open Mic Nights (before they all closed down… sigh), and a few outdoor festival type events. I find it difficult to book gigs without a band behind me. The acoustic singer/songwriter chick singing about some boy who doesn’t love her gets repetitive. BUT I’m working on finding my band and when I do I promise to be playing as many shows as I can :)

Me: How many live shows have you been to?

Christine: Ahhhhhhhhh I’ve lost track!

Me: Do you ever get nervous while performing – if so what do you do to help yourself?

Christine:I used to get REALLY nervous and shaky when I first started playing shows. I would become so obsessed with my nerves, that I couldn’t control them. It was upsetting, because I’d perform for my mom in our basement and feel like a rock star, but as soon as I got up on stage this shy little girl came out, and you can NOT be shy in show biz!

Strangely enough, I started listening to country music, and watching live performances, which somehow made me snap out of being scared. Country musicians own the stage in a different way than pop stars do. They’re real. They have their ripped jeans and cowboy boots on, and they’re just singing about whiskey and love. They don’t have these elaborate costumes or acts to put on; they just have a hell of a show to keep up with and a guitar to play. And hey, that’s with any performance, but something about country made me feel like I could rock my own stage; with or without a band behind me. I started wearing cowboy boots to my shows and tapping my foot to my songs, and that was that. Maybe that’s a sign?

Me: Do you have any advice for anyone who is just starting out with singing and song writing?

Christine: When I was in 9th grade I made a music Myspace and uploaded songs I recorded on a crappy microphone on my computer; but that didn’t bother me. I would spend hours trying to promote and adding friends. I wanted a fan base, and I got one. I started to get thousands of hits. I even got in contact with a producer and engineer who helped me record my first “demo” CD, which became my first EP that I got to release on iTunes at fifteen. I was played on college radio stations across the US, and signed up for contests that gave me some great connections.

Okay, this is the last rant you’ll have to read, but: BE FEARLESS. If you have a dream GO for it. The world and the universe are more than just science. We are here for reasons, and if you have any intuition that you are supposed to do something on this planet then what are you waiting for!?!?! #YOLO

I’ve had ups and downs and highs and lows, but I know I’m not giving up anytime soon.
PLEASE support my mission & take a listen/download to my latest single, “Dreamland“!

Hey! I'm Lisa and I am a senior at Suffolk. I am a Public Relations major with a minor in marketing.  
Originally from Connecticut, Erica attends Suffolk University in Boston, Massachusetts. She is a senior, majoring in public relations, and minoring in marketing. She founded Suffolk's chapter of Her Campus along with co-Campus Correspondent, Mackenzie Newcomb. has interned at a few start-up companies including Quincy Apparel and Good to Go Organics. She was also a public relations intern at Regan Communications Group, and is currently the advertising/marketing intern at The Improper Bostonian Magazine. Erica also works on Newbury Street at Jack Wills University Outfitters, a British clothing company that is expanding across America. She is very interested in the world of fashion, and hopes to make it big doing marketing/PR for a fashion magazine or as a publicist in New York City or LA upon graduation. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, hanging out with friends, going to the beach, reading, writing, and dancing.