Selena Gomez’s Shocking Revelation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

In 2013 pop singer Selena Gomez cancelled a series of tour dates, causing much speculation from the media. Reasons surrounding why she cancelled swirled through the press until the major belief was that Gomez was in rehab.

On October 8th 2015 it was reveled in an interview with Billboard that the “Good For You” singer was actually diagnosed with lupus and had to take some time off from her tour to undergo chemotherapy treatments.

For those of you who aren’t familiar, lupus is an autoimmune disease where instead of antibodies fighting off bacteria and viruses, the body creates autoantibodies that attack the healthy tissues. Chemotherapy is used to treat aggressive cases of lupus quickly, giving the patient lower dosages than those given to cancer patients. In her interview with the magazine, Selena told Billboard “I locked myself away until I was confident and comfortable again,”

Seems to us like Selena is feeling more confident and comfortable in finally opening up about her diagnosis and sharing her experience with fans. We’re so happy to hear about her recovery and wish her all the best going forward. The singer has a new album coming out on October 9th, Revival, and we’re looking forward to hearing it!

For more information about lupus you can visit www.lupus.org