Life > Experiences

Salem During Halloweekend: Our Experience and Tips 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

The Salem experience is unlike any other. At all times, people are surrounding you in all kinds of exciting costumes. It is one of the few places you could look across the street and see the Mad Hatter talking to Wanda Maximoff and not even bat an eye! If you were planning on going, but aren’t sure what to wear, adding a witch hat to any outfit is a great way to fit in.  

As for the attractions, there are hundreds of shops to visit and tours to go on. A good rule to follow: if there are more than 10 people in a line, it’s not worth it. Chances are you could find the same store with a slightly different name right around the corner! Be sure not to miss the two haunted houses located right behind the Salem Witch Trial Memorial. No matter how high you think your scare tolerance is, these will make anyone scream! America’s first candy store, Ye Olde Pepper Candy Companie, is also in Salem. They sell a variety of candies and fudge will make your mouth water. 

Less known in Salem are Pickering Wharf and Salem Willows Park. At the Wharf, you get a scenic view of the Salem harbor and the small lighthouse at the end. The Willows Park is lesser known (and a bit of a walk), but definitely worth it. There is a large park that you could spend hours at while gazing at the Rams Horn Channel. 

After a day filled with Salem spirit and fun activities, here are some tips we gathered while on this experience.   

1.     Ticket purchases 

If you plan on taking the Amtrak to Salem from Boston, you’d expect to pay for a ticket there and back. But! Making the mistake of paying for an unnecessary ticket, you can save some money and skip buying a ticket! Due to the hectic and crowded lines for the ride to Boston, they do not check for paid tickets. Save some money and don’t buy one. It may sound scary, and you might feel guilty, but trusted workers even claimed it’s a waste since they don’t check on the weekends. Warning: if you go during October on WEEKDAYS, it would be necessary to purchase one since crowds will be less, giving workers more caution in checking. 

2.     Travel plans 

If you plan on taking the train instead of driving, pay attention to departure times! Planning ahead and getting there a bit early to be at the front of lines will heighten your chances at getting a good seat compared to having to stand for the lengthy travel. If you plan on driving, find parking garages nearby and expect traffic! Especially during Halloweekend, traffic will dull the fun in walking through Salem. 

3.     Dealing with boredom 

Whether you’re traveling by train or car ride, it’s necessary to not get bored on the lengthy ride. Curating a playlist to listen to while watching the beautiful views while traveling alone or planning your list of spots to visit with friends can shorten the trip and get you more excited to get to your final destination! Be sure to fully charge your phone beforehand to get as many photos as possible and keep safe if you plan on staying late. 

Although these tips may seem obvious, the excitement of going to Salem can often cloud focused thinking. Refer back to these tips next year to ensure a planned and fun day to remember! 

Aiko is a freshman majoring in English with a concentration in literature. Her hobbies include reading, writing, crocheting, and collecting vinyls. Future articles you may see are book and film reviews, lifestyle posts, and personal experiences!
Ella Jenkins

Suffolk '26

Ella is a freshman at Suffolk University planning to major in Psychology. She enjoys reading, watching horror movies, and going to new places.