Red Sox and Yankees Honor Newtown, CT on Opening Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

On December 14, 2012, twenty children and six staff members were tragically killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut – a town located about 15 minutes from my home. 

The Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees will be honoring the entire community of Newtown and all of the “Newtown Angels” who were killed when the two teams play at Yankee Stadium on April 1st – opening day.  “On opening day, we will reflect upon more important things and play the game to honor the community of Newtown.  Since the day of the tragedy, our hearts and thoughts have been with those who were affected,” said Hal Steinbrenner, Yankees managing general partner.

Red Sox principal owner John Henry said, “Months have passed, yet we are still trying to come to grips with this incomprehensible tragedy.  As our teams look to face each other on opening day, we will stand united in support of the families affected as we remember and honor those who were lost.”

Opening Day pre-game ceremonies will consist of a moment of silence dedicated to the Newtown Angels and an honor guard of Newtown firefighters and police officers.  When the game begins, each Yankee and Red Sox player will proudly wear a ribbon on their uniforms in the Angels’ memory.

On July 7th when the Yankees play Baltimore Orioles, approximately 3,000 people from Newtown will be invited to the ballpark for what will be “Newtown Day at Yankee Stadium.”

Way to go Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees, this is awesome and we love you!

My name is Alexa Mellardo and I am currently a sophomore and Broadcast Journalism major at Suffolk University, located in the heart of one of the most charming cities in the world: Boston. A passionate journalist, I am fortunate to be doing what I love to do….writing! When I’m not composing articles for two awesome online publications (hercampus.com and also collegefashionista.com) and attending classes, I intern at a trendy magazine in the city. In between, I love to shop and spend time with my friends and my boyfriend. I have two addictions: shopping and cupcakes. In light of that, what better place to be than just blocks away from Newbury Street, Charles Street and Quincy Market? My quaint, vintage brownstone apartment in Beacon Hill is where my two best friends and I keep it strictly classy and fashionable. We turned our apartment into a comfy fashionable haven, and we enjoy relaxing and entertaining our friends. Living in such an awesome city provides a wealth of opportunity, fun, and culture to embrace. My dream is to one day be a respected, well-known broadcast journalist.