An Ode to Lady Gaga and Her Crusade for Weirdness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

All was quiet in pop music circa 2008. Then, seemingly out of nowhere, a newcomer appeared on the scene who would change the face of pop music and culture forever. Strutting her stuff into a wild party, with the infamous blue lightning bolt on her face, Miss Lady Gaga captivated the world with her hit single, “Just Dance,” featuring Colby O’Donis. The dazed party people, the random stuffed animals, and, of course, the notorious disco ball bra, all became associated with Gaga. (I’m sure you can guess who these very same things things are associated with now.) The fast paced randomness that made up the video all came together with the scandalous lick of her finger. Quickly making a name for herself among the “normal” musical artists on the scene at the time, her bizarre antics and sexual themes made her completely unlike than the rest. She was, for lack of a better word, “weird.” And that is exactly the image she was going for.

She became unstoppable. Her next hit single, “Poker Face” was soon released, and this one was even more promiscuous than “Just Dance.” No one knew what to do with this crazy new artist. Viewers were shocked by such obscenity, but Lady Gaga was stopping at nothing. She was on a mission. Following this, came her singles, “Paparazzi,” “Telephone,” and “LoveGame,” and my personal favorite, “Bad Romance,” each corresponding music video stranger than the previous. Then came her fragrance, Lady Gaga Fame, and the 9-minute bizarre advertisement that came along with it.

From her peculiar outfit choices, to her wild antics at awards shows, Lady Gaga was sending a shock wave through the world. She was on the loose, and no one was stopping her. Some embraced her strangeness, and others rejected it. But it is no secret that she is to thank for the revolution of “weird” that has fallen upon us today.

Freakiness is cool now. People don’t want to be like anyone else, they want to establish themselves as being different. Gaga made it okay to stand out and be yourself, especially for women. Girls are known for their high aspirations of achieving perfect beauty. Gaga showed women everywhere that rather than struggling on a near impossible feat, we should embrace the inner weirdo and share that beauty with the world. Soon, Gaga had a huge fan base of “little monsters,” which were anyone from the coolest girl in school, to the misfit who couldn’t quite fit in. In Gaga’s world there was a place for everyone, and she adored everyone and everything.

She is considered one of the most influential, if not the most, influential musicians of our time. Many fierce women musicians have imitated her attention grabbing ways.

Miley.

Ke$ha.

Katy Perry.

Nicki Minaj.

They’re all WEIRD now.

It’s all about the bold moves that get you publicity. Take a look at Miley’s most recent performance. People everywhere were appalled. She was provocative in the most distasteful manner possible. And statements exactly like the one I just made are what is getting her more attention than any other celebrity right now, just like Gaga when she came out with “Just Dance.” Katy Perry’s multi colored hair, cupcake bra, and fireworks coming out of her chest as she rose to stardom are what made her into the celebrity she is today.

Not only was she a pioneer of weird, but she is also very influential in her political beliefs, especially in regards to same sex marriage. Despite how strange she may seem from the outside, she’s an extremely intelligent woman. She not only voices her opinions, but backs them up with eloquent speeches and respectable appearances as well. Today, huge artists like Frank Ocean and Macklemore, who are newer to the scene, have followed in her footsteps and joined the fight that she was bold enough to start.

All of that being said, I believe Gaga should be commended for her genius ways. Sh’e simply brilliant. She paved the way for so many celebrities around her. She fought through the initial criticisms, and made a name for herself as a resilient woman with confident beliefs.

While she seemingly hopped off the scene for a while, she is on her way back to the forefront with a vengeance, and all the copycats out there must be trembling in their boots. She made the boldest statement the world had seen since the days of Madonna, and her legacy will continue for many years to come as her “little monsters” remain loyal, and her mission continues.

Originally from Connecticut, Erica attends Suffolk University in Boston, Massachusetts. She is a senior, majoring in public relations, and minoring in marketing. She founded Suffolk's chapter of Her Campus along with co-Campus Correspondent, Mackenzie Newcomb. has interned at a few start-up companies including Quincy Apparel and Good to Go Organics. She was also a public relations intern at Regan Communications Group, and is currently the advertising/marketing intern at The Improper Bostonian Magazine. Erica also works on Newbury Street at Jack Wills University Outfitters, a British clothing company that is expanding across America. She is very interested in the world of fashion, and hopes to make it big doing marketing/PR for a fashion magazine or as a publicist in New York City or LA upon graduation. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, hanging out with friends, going to the beach, reading, writing, and dancing.