Netflix’s Newest Thriller Series: Lockwood & Co

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

As of last month, Netflix has released a new detective fiction series. Based on the supernatural thriller book series by Jonathan Stroud, “Lockwood & Co” introduces us to a dystopian world fighting a ghost epidemic. There are a lot of shows that are brought onto the Netflix platform nowadays, but let me tell you, I was glad to find this gem.

Our main leads Lucy Carlyle, Anthony Lockwood, and Geroge Karim all bring something special to the story, and each of them have an interesting storyline. Together they form a trio that is really unique and reminisces of the Ghostbuster squad vibes. This is the first season so, not all is clear, and there is a nice cliffhanger towards the end.

Though the show was not that heavily marketed, it is very promising, especially from the trailer that depicted how packed with emotions and action it was going to be. There are several different shots, but my favorite one is the stunts and dangers that the three take. Even from the beginning, you see how united and willing they are to fight an enemy that not a lot is known about.

This season, while it did great introducing us to each of our main leads, focuses more primarily on Lucy. It is emotional, especially because Lucy has a very tragic past. However, she never gives up and she truly is one of the best parts of the show, as it was great seeing her slowly becoming more and more unaffected by her past. Although we know less about the others, they also have their own past and stories that are slowly unfolding as the show goes on. If you are someone who enjoys watching characters with complex backgrounds, this show does that very well.

What makes this trio unique is the fact that they run their ghost fight with no business supervision. This does land them into quite a bit of trouble. Watching them fight the system that is placed in this dystopian version of London was very amusing. For a small agency, they cause a lot of ripples and change how the industry works. They are in their youth and simply trying to do their best in a career they are passionate about.

Although Lucy, Anthony, and George at first had nothing in common, they learn more about each other and slowly become family throughout the show. In an industry where no one cares much for them, they stick by each other. The “found family” trope works beautifully. There are slow buildups, but towards the end, you can see they truly care for each other. All in all, the show has many great characteristics and is definitely something to consider adding to your watchlist this month!

I'm a freshman at Suffolk University majoring in Public Relations(PR). I'm Salvadorian and was born and raised there during my childhood years. Topics and beliefs that interest me are pop culture and also women's rights. That is because the influences that come from the mainstream hold weight in our values and morals but it’s entertaining as well. As for women's rights, I just find it important for one to advocate for oneself and also for other women because we are all in this together.