This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

It’s that time of year again when the ghosts and goblins come out. Forget the popcorn and grab some candy corn, we’re about to name the Halloween movies you must see this season (don’t worry scaredy cats, we’ve got some for you too!)

Halloween (1978)

What better way to celebrate the holiday than with the classic named after it! Spend the night (or the weekend if you plan on bingeing) with Michael Myers, the character who started the slasher movie franchise, in what’s still considered the best movie in it. Binge watch the whole series by watching the seven sequels, or watch the 2007 reboot.

Hocus Pocus (1998)

If you love witches then a night with the Sanderson sisters is a must. Hocus Pocus is another classic that (thankfully) isn’t gory. It is one of my personal favorites and always has been. Is it undeniable that the best scene is when Bette Midler does the song and dance number to “Put a Spell on You”. If you feel a little nostalgia you can watch the movie or better yet make a trip to Salem and visit the Dennison’s residence.

The Shining (1980)

Based on the thriller by the same name written by Stephen King (yeah, Stephen King so you know it’s good). The movie deals with supernatural forces and ghosts which eventually influence Jack Nicolson as Jack Torrance to murder his family. Many will say the scene where he proclaims “Here’s Johnny” is the best, but I for one will never forget what “REDRUM” means. Either way, I’m sure it will spook you.

Paranormal Activity (2009)

I know what some of you are thinking: so lame. The series has toned down a bit on the scare-o-meter. However, the first one will always be the best and scariest. Yeah, it doesn’t have the gore or the horror like some other movies, but what makes it scary is that if you believe in ghosts and spirits, it’s one of those movies where you say, “OMG that could happen to me”. If you ask me, that’s the scariest thing ever, so I recommend keeping the lights on when you watch it.

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

Another movie that found it’s footing in the slasher movie franchise with its main character, Freddy Krueger. What is different about him is that he is never actually in reality. The movie is so complex and thought out; he kills his victims in their dreams (which kills them in reality). On the bright side to this nightmare we get to see a cute, young Johnny Depp in his feature film debut.

Halloweentown (1998)

Let’s take another trip down memory lane for you 90’s babies and away from all of the thriller and slasher gore. Halloweentown is the movie you grew up loving and still watch to this day. There is nothing more exciting in the spooky season than to watch the movie and even watch Marnie grow up in the sequels (even though they aren’t as good). I remember always wishing Halloweentown was an actual place. Who wouldn’t want to celebrate Halloween every day?

It’s the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown (1966)

No matter what the holiday is you know you always have to watch the Charlie Brown special. For some people it has even become a tradition. Halloween is no exception, so why don’t you spend it with Charlie Brown and the gang.

Tatyanna graduated from Suffolk University in Boston, MA in 2018. She majored in marketing with a concentration in brand marketing and a minor in public relations. She currently works for Her Campus Media on the Integrated Marketing team. While not at work you can find her hanging out with friends through the city or at the Handle Bar, Fenway's local spin studio. She is a lover of fashion, travel, and social media.