This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

There are many different reasons why someone might choose to become a vegetarian.  Maybe you don’t like the taste of meat. Maybe you don’t want to support the killing of animals.  Personally, I do not wish to consume the various hormones and antibiotics that the animals are raised with.  No matter the reason, being vegetarian can be challenging, so here are some sustainable and yummy options to satisfy your hunger and dietary needs.

1. Trader Joe’s Hi-Protein Veggie Burger

These delicious veggie burgers are moist, salty, and are nutritionally beneficial.  They have a total of 26 grams of protein, which is especially great for more active people like myself because cutting out meat from your diet can often lead to a lack of protein.  What I like so much about these burgers is that they have a pea protein blend in them, which is better for you than other supplements such as whey because it contains three times more arginine- an essential amino-acid for growing muscles.

2. Orgain Organic Protein- Plant-Based Protein Powder- Creamy Chocolate Fudge

While we are on the topic of protein, it is only fitting that I mention my all-time favorite protein shake/supplement.  I have used this off and on for the past three years, and ever since I went full vegetarian, I’ve made sure to make it a daily ritual for me at breakfast time.  Not only does it have 21 grams of pea-based protein, but it is also sugar, dairy, soy, and gluten-free, vegan, non-GMO, and unlike most supplements; it tastes amazing.  Of course, you can choose to add it to smoothies, but personally, I blend it with just 12oz of unsweetened almond milk. 

3. Trader Joe’s Steamed Lentils

Lentils and beans are great because they are very sustainable food to consume.  They satisfy your hunger without making you feel tired or groggy afterward. These particular lentils are pre-soaked and can be eaten warm or cold.  Depending on what I am craving, I enjoy them cold on top of a green salad, or as a warm side dish.  

Chick Peas
Christin Urso / Spoon

4. RXBAR

Being vegetarian, it is so important to find alternative ways to obtain your protein, and these RX Bars hit right.  My favorite flavor has just eight ingredients: dates, egg whites, cashews, almonds, chocolate, cocoa, natural flavors, and sea salt.  There are a few reasons why these particular bars are so great. First, they use real, simple ingredients and contain healthy sources of protein such as nuts and egg whites.  Second, the chocolate they use is naturally sweetened by the dates, so no extra sugar is added. Third, they taste absolutely amazing!

5. Chickpea and Avocado “Chicken” Salad

I used to love chicken salad, but it is definitely not the healthiest meal choice.  To make this Faux chicken salad, I take half an avocado, half a can of drained and rinsed chickpeas, a teaspoon of olive oil, and a dash of salt and pepper.  I mash it all together with a fork, leaving some chunks of chickpeas for texture. This makes for a great sandwich on some multigrain bread with a bit of lettuce.    

Avocado
Sarah Silbiger / Spoon

Suffolk 2023
Julia Demopoulos is a senior at Suffolk University majoring in print/web journalism and minoring in public relations. She is originally from Dracut, MA but currently resides in East Boston. In addition to being a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Suffolk, Julia is also the Vice President for Program Council, Suffolk's programming board on campus. She is also an active member of Suffolk's Journey Leadership Program. Julia works in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions as a Trustee Ambassador (tour guide), and was an Orientation leader for Summer 2019.