Miley Cyrus: Just Another One of Gaga’s Little Monsters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

It seems as though lately not a day goes by where you don’t hear about another one of Miley’s outrageous antics. The Miley Movement is in full effect, and she has officially gone from the homely, innocent teenager, to the wild child rebel. The minute she chopped off those gorgeous brunette locks and bleached what was left of her hair, her entire image changed, and the new Miley was born. Now, whether she’s bleaching her eyebrows or riding an inflatable penis on stage during her tour, the spotlight always finds her. There is not a tabloid, magazine, gossip site, or Facebook newsfeed without her name in it, and the media is always anxiously awaiting her next outlandish move.

However, think back just a few years, when Miley was on the Disney Channel making a name for herself as Hannah Montana. There was another fearless female capturing headlines and causing controversy with just about every move she made. The infamous Lady Gaga came as a shock to most people; she was brave, bold, and downright bizarre. People had not really seen anything like this since the days of Madonna. She became the center of attention beginning when she released her racy video for “Just Dance,” and no matter what anyone thought of her, she kept doing what she was doing, awarding her great success in such a competitive industry. She has paved the way for women to become individuals again.

Recently, Gaga has seemingly toned down a bit, and is not in the spotlight as much as she once was. However, Miley was quick to fill this position. Miley is the new “freaky chick” on the scene, and though she may never admit it, a lot of her work seems to be inspired by the Queen of Weird, Lady Gaga. As Miley has become stranger and stranger, I couldn’t help but to notice that she reminded me a bit of the unstoppable, 2010 Gaga. I dug a little deeper into both of their work, and found that there were even more similarities than I had anticipated.

The Nude Suit: When Miley performed half naked in her two piece nude suit at the 2013 VMA’s, the audience was shocked and outraged. But in 2010, Gaga also rocked the skin toned two piece in her video for “Alejandro,” which didn’t draw nearly as much attention. But, I think it is safe to say that Gaga coined the nude suit.

The “Just Dance” video and the “We Cant Stop” videos: Watch these two videos consecutively. It’s as if Gaga and Miley were at the same party. Dancing stuffed animals, people passed out, pool toy antics, wild outfits, you name it, it’s all there. In both videos. 

VS.

VS.

VS.

The lick heard around the world: Remember when Lady Gaga licked her finger at the part of the “Just Dance” music video when she said, “Think I should shut my Playboy mouth?” How shocked were you? Last year, when the “Wrecking Ball” video was released, the public had pretty much the same reaction when Miley sensually licked the hammer. These two definitely have some infamous tongues. 

The Ice Queen Look: Both Gaga and Miley have rocked the long, white fur coat look in their videos. Gaga was the original ice queen, of course though.

The Bleached Brow: The public was shocked when Miley bleached her eyebrows and posted a picture of her new look on Instagram. However, years ago Lady Gaga also attempted this look, but it went the radar. Don’t worry, Miley, this wasn’t Gaga’s best look either.

And there are more out there…Miley isn’t the only celebrity channeling Gaga’s creativity and ideas in her work. Nicki Minaj got wide eyed, just as Lady Gaga did in her “Bad Romance” video. And Katy Perry shot fireworks out of her chest in her “Fireworks” music video, after Gaga did the same during her performance at the Much Music Awards. Gaga has changed the perception of the typical glamorous celebrity, and made it okay to be unique. Tons of celebrities are benefiting from her brilliant boldness, because now they feel they can be themselves. However, they all definitely owe Gaga an “applause” for her innovative ideas and inspiration that is clearly visible in their work.

Originally from Connecticut, Erica attends Suffolk University in Boston, Massachusetts. She is a senior, majoring in public relations, and minoring in marketing. She founded Suffolk's chapter of Her Campus along with co-Campus Correspondent, Mackenzie Newcomb. has interned at a few start-up companies including Quincy Apparel and Good to Go Organics. She was also a public relations intern at Regan Communications Group, and is currently the advertising/marketing intern at The Improper Bostonian Magazine. Erica also works on Newbury Street at Jack Wills University Outfitters, a British clothing company that is expanding across America. She is very interested in the world of fashion, and hopes to make it big doing marketing/PR for a fashion magazine or as a publicist in New York City or LA upon graduation. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, hanging out with friends, going to the beach, reading, writing, and dancing.