The Kylie Jenner Lip Challenge: WHY?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Just because Kylie Jenner is half the age of her older sister Kim doesn’t mean she is any less popular. In fact, this 17 year old is constantly in the media and recently the reasons have not been admirable ones.

In an attempt to emulate Kylie’s falsely full lips (that seem to be growing every day…), teenage girls all around the country have been DIY plumping their lips using shot glasses or water bottles. Kylie claims she has never gone under the knife and Scott Disick backed her up, telling the media that it takes her nearly 40 minutes to apply her contouring lipliner. Whether the accusations are true or not, Kylie’s abrupt transformation has inspired young girls to mimic her new look. The results are anything but glamorous; the girls are left with bruised and swollen lips as well as egos, while cosmetic surgeons and dermatologists are absolutely horrified.

Lips were not the only thing being blown-up from this challenge. Images of girls with clown lips were posted on nearly all social-media platforms, along with interviews from acclaimed doctors urging girls to stop and informing them of the long-term effects this may cause. On this past Tuesday, Kylie finally addressed this issue and tweeted:

“I’m not here to try & encourage people/young girls to look like me or think this is the way they should look. I want to encourage people/young girls like me to be YOURSELF & not afraid to experiment w your look”

….Okay. This is where I stop writing journalistically and start being an opinionated young woman.

This response just proves Kylie’s total incompetence towards the entire situation. Sorry, but when girls are permanently disfiguring their faces in order to replicate your newly transformed lips, you need firmly tell them them to stop rather than attempt to disassociate yourself from the problem and encourage them by saying it is okay to “experiment w your look.” It’s one thing to try new things with your appearance, it’s another thing to physically harm yourself in hopes of looking like a completely different person.

Kylie, you are one of the most famous teenagers in Hollywood, so obviously young girls look up to you. I am not saying that you are forced to be a positive role model, and in fact most celebs that young girls have once admired have gone off the deep end (lookin’ at you, Miley). But at least have the maturity to handle this situation professionally and with poise, not with a cliché tweet.

Oh, wait. You’re just a minor. I must’ve forgot, seeing as though you look like you’re in your 30s. No wonder you have no idea how to handle such an intense situation.

Okay, sorry, rant over. But seriously, WHY? Why have we latched on to such poor role models? Why are young females so intrigued by Kylie’s newly plump lips that they will physically damage their faces in order to look like her? For the girls who have picked this middle-aged looking minor as their Hollywood idol, I beg of you to reconsider. There is nothing beautiful, inspiring, or wholesome about wanting to look twice your age. Please stop ruining your perfectly healthy lips in an attempt to attain the unattainable. Embrace your youth; you’ll never get it back.