etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Deal with Losing Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

As we grow up our friend groups are destined to evolve and change. But how do we cope with this? What do we do when friendships end in complete havoc? Here are some tips on how to deal with the inevitable loss of friends throughout your life.

The best way to cope with the fading of friendships is to not stress over people who don’t make time for you.

If you have a friend who is always busy, ditching you to hang out with their other friends, or has homework every second of every day, chances are they are just avoiding hanging out with you. If this is the case, they are not a true friend, and are not worth your stress. If you have put yourself out there only to be disappointed more times than you can count it may be time to let go and move on. While this is difficult at first, you will feel a lot better in the long run. Focus on the people who make time for you, and are excited to see you.

It is often easy to notice when people are drifting away in a friendship. You go off to college, start a new job or join a club and suddenly the people you spent all of your time with are suddenly no longer asking to hang out. While some of these relationships can be strong enough to save, don’t overwhelm yourself with stress by gripping onto something that won’t last. It is okay to loosen your grip with some people and focus on those who truly make you happy and feel that you can be your best self with. Spending all of your time trying to save a lost friendship will leave you exhausted, and often times more lonely than you’d think.

It is also important to focus on the things that make you happy.

If you are involved in clubs, sports, or have other hobbies, take some time to yourself to focus on those things. This is not only a good way to improve your skills, but will help with your overall mood. Attend club meetings or become part of organizations that inspire you. This will also give you a new way to meet new people and make friends.

Julia Demopoulos is a senior at Suffolk University majoring in print/web journalism and minoring in public relations. She is originally from Dracut, MA but currently resides in East Boston. In addition to being a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Suffolk, Julia is also the Vice President for Program Council, Suffolk's programming board on campus. She is also an active member of Suffolk's Journey Leadership Program. Julia works in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions as a Trustee Ambassador (tour guide), and was an Orientation leader for Summer 2019.