How to: Deal With a Guy’s Best Girl Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

It’s the age-old question: Can guys and girls really be just friends?

Personally, I say yes. There are many situations where guys and girls hang out and truly enjoy each other’s company, strictly platonically.

Well, what happens if you throw in a significant other?

There are plenty of guys who truly respect their gal pal’s boyfriend, and plenty of girls who get along great with their guy friend’s girl.

Some girls aren’t as lucky though. I’ve had my fair share of bad luck with it in the past, and after plenty of girl talk, I came to find that I wasn’t alone. A lot of girls trust their boyfriends completely, and really want to get to know their female friends. But when it comes down to it, for some reason, they seem to be bothered by the companionship, even when they don’t want too be.

These girls have good reasons, though. Not all of a guy’s best friends will be out to ruin your relationship; but some just can’t help themselves.

One girl said she was really happy in her relationship; he was a cool guy, as were all of his friends. His best girl friend was really nice, and always made her feel welcome. It wasn’t until after she and him broke up, that she found out that he cheated on her with his best friend. To make matters worse, the two girls had the same name.

Here we have a situation that many girls go through. It’s not their fault, and usually there is nothing they can do to prevent it. While it is completely upsetting and wrong, you are better off to not have those kinds of people in your life.

A female student had her own friendship disaster story to share. “A good friend of my boyfriend’s would constantly comment on his pictures with hearts and call him sexy. She would go out of her way to visit him at work, and would call/text after midnight to hangout. I let it slide for so long, but eventually I snapped because it got to be way too much, and she crossed the line.”

In this situation, she gave her boyfriend’s friend a chance, but the friend clearly took advantage of that and took things overboard. 

Another student always had second thoughts when it came to her boyfriend’s female college best friend. “He spoke about her a lot, but I really didn’t think much of it. I met her a few times, and she was sweet and really made the effort to get to know me. At times she knew things about his life before I did, and eventually that got a little frustrating, since we had been dating way before he met her. They went to the same college and we didn’t, so that was hard too. In time, our relationship ended. And it wasn’t until a few months after that I saw she came to visit him and vice versa. I didn’t think much of it then, but sure enough, they have now been dating for a couple months.”

As a girl, it’s sometimes hard to watch your guy and his gal pal together. They have a great relationship and usually have similar interests and personalities. BUT, not every relationship will be like the girls we’ve heard from today. They had to deal with the worst of the worst, but you may never have too.

The best advice I can give is to not stand in the way of their friendship. Get to know this girl, and give her the benefit of the doubt. Be accepting, they’re friends for a reason. You yourself might even make a friend out of it. Let him spend time with her and his other friends, he may not always bring you along, but would you honestly want him hanging out with you and your friends all the time? Don’t go crazy about it. If you’re constantly freaking out, it could cause problems between the two of you.

Like I said before, not every gal pal will be out to get you and your relationship. The most you can do is take it as it comes. Your guy might be relieved in the fact that his two best girls can coexist in peace.

Stephanie is the Business Development Coordinator at Her Campus Media . A graduate of Suffolk University, Stephanie held the position of secretary at the HC Suffolk chapter and lived the real life "Pitch Perfect" as business manager of her a cappella group the Suffolk Ramifications. Before joining the Her Campus team, Stephanie held positions in experiential marketing and public relations. In her free time you can find her with family & friends, sitting with a good book, getting stressed out over football & hockey or hunting down the best gluten free food Boston has to offer. 
Originally from Connecticut, Erica attends Suffolk University in Boston, Massachusetts. She is a senior, majoring in public relations, and minoring in marketing. She founded Suffolk's chapter of Her Campus along with co-Campus Correspondent, Mackenzie Newcomb. has interned at a few start-up companies including Quincy Apparel and Good to Go Organics. She was also a public relations intern at Regan Communications Group, and is currently the advertising/marketing intern at The Improper Bostonian Magazine. Erica also works on Newbury Street at Jack Wills University Outfitters, a British clothing company that is expanding across America. She is very interested in the world of fashion, and hopes to make it big doing marketing/PR for a fashion magazine or as a publicist in New York City or LA upon graduation. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, hanging out with friends, going to the beach, reading, writing, and dancing.