This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Warning: Spoilers for the original movie and sequel ahead!

We all know and love the classic 1993 Hocus Pocus. There is no way that you can beat an original. The original is untouchable and iconic. We have the Sanderson sisters Mary, Sarah, and Winifred. Then our favorite side duo Binx and Dani. Of course, we cannot forget about Max and Allison. Max is the start of all the chaos. We still love him for it because we got an amazing movie out of it.

In case you haven’t seen it, the first Hocus Pocus gives us the slight back story on the sisters and what happened to them. The movie goes through Max (the virgin) lighting the candle and bringing the sisters back from the dead on Halloween Night. According to the legend, the virgin will light the candle and bring the sisters back from the dead, and once the sun goes up they will fade away and disappear. In the first movie, they are trying their hardest to stay alive. How do they stay alive? Well they take children’s souls. They feed off of their energy to keep themselves young and healthy.

The original movie is such a classic. Everytime you think of Halloween, you think of Hocus Pocus. This movie has been being replayed for years. It will never get old. We love the subtle songs that Sarah sings, and “I Put a Spell on You” is iconic.

Let’s talk about Hocus Pocus 2.

Now, maybe I tricked myself and gave myself too much excitement and not enough of an open mind for it. However, I personally feel when an iconic movie is doing a sequel, it should wrap the story up all together, or go into further detail on the story line. Though the beginning of the movie went into the sisters’ origins, the rest of the movie focused on how 16-year-old Becca became a witch to stop the Sanderson sisters for good. It was cool how they provided a new character, but personally, the storyline felt irrelevant and simply didn’t work for me. No other original characters came back or were even mentioned in the movie. It was a completely different cast and a completely different story.

At the end, they tried to prove that love trumps all. In the end, the movie showed that Winifred is nothing without her sisters. Sarah and Mary are the power to make her strong. Which is true, but again, was it really relevant? Yes, we know that Winifred is the oldest and believes she is the better sister, whether that means, smarter, prettier, stronger, etc. But there was never a doubt that she didn’t love her sisters.

In the end, was the movie bad? No, it wasn’t. It was a good movie, but the storyline could have been more relevant to the original. However, I would still recommend watching it because, at the end of the day, it still is Hocus Pocus!

Elisabeth Gil

Suffolk '26

Hi ! My name is Elisa. I’m a double major in psychology and criminal justice hoping to become a forensic psychologist. In my spare time I like watching horror movies , drawing, and listening to true crime podcasts