Health Blog: Super Smoothies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Smoothies are one of the new health sensations. There is always a quest for the next superfood ingredient to give any smoothie a delicious boost. To learn some smoothie tricks, I went to Suffolk University’s smoothie guru, Averi Goldsmith. Averi is a senior, majoring in global business and marketing, and she is never seen without her trusty smoothie cup, filled to the brim with her smoothie of the day.When asked why smoothies are so essential to her life, she explained that it is an easy and healthy meal substitute. “It’s an easy and flavorful way to get in all of your daily fiber, minerals, and vitamins. It’s also a boost to your immune system and metabolism,” said Averi. She went on to explain that she loves the tastes of many veggies, but for those who don’t, the loads of fruits in the smoothie mask the taste. Averi explained that the best way to find smoothies you enjoy is to experiment, try all different combinations, even ones that seem a little out of balance.

Luckily, I was able to get some of Averi’s smoothie recipes. Some of them are fruity with a tropical taste and others are more towards the veggie side. The best times to enjoy a smoothie are after a workout, in the morning, on the go, substituting lunch/dinner, or on an empty stomach. When you enjoy a smoothie on an empty stomach, it allows your body to absorb all the nutrients, and it is so easy to transport in a closed cover cup. Averi said, “To live an extremely healthy lifestyle, it’s imperative to eat nature’s candy opposed to real candy!” Try them out for yourself!

1. Red and Green

1 Green apple

1 Red apple

Ginger

Spinach

Coconut water (non-flavored)

Apples are a healthy alternative to coffee. They wake you up in the morning and provide fuel throughout the day. Ginger can help ease muscle pain after a workout and prevent indigestion.

2. Green Machine

Green tea

1 Green apple

Kale

Ginger

Lemon

Dates

Moringa powder

The moringa plant is from southern India, and has tons of different minerals and vitamins in it. The green tea gives the body antioxidants, which help reduce stress and lower the risk of many diseases. 

3. Not Your Mom’s Greek Yogurt

1 red apple

Greek yogurt

Almond milk

Vanilla protein powder

Cinnamon

Cinnamon helps regulate blood sugar while helping your digestive system. Almond milk contains fewer calories than regular milk, and has about the same amount as protein as milk.

4. Fall in a Cup

Pumpkin puree

Greek yogurt

Flaxseed milk

Nutmeg

Cinnamon

Pumpkin puree helps with your digestive system and has high levels of vitamin A and E. Greek yogurt is a probiotic and helps regulate your digestive system, while providing you with protein and calcium.

5. Monkey Business

Filtered Coffee

Raw Organic Cacao Powder

1 Banana

Peanut butter

Chia seed

Chia seeds are filled with omega-3, phosphorus, magnesium, and fiber, which are good for your bones, brain, and digestive health. Cacao powder helps with your cardiovascular system.

6. A Tropical Twist

Coconut water

Spinach

Pineapple

Pear

Chia Seeds

Spinach is loaded with vitamins A, K, D, and E, which help balance a highly acidic diet, while coconut water can contribute to clearer skin.

7. BOA

1 Beet

1 Orange

1 Apple

Ginger

Coconut water (non-flavored)

Beets cleanse the body and purify the blood stream. Doctors also use them as a stomach acid tester. Oranges help reduce constipation, protect your skin, fight viral infections, and boosts your heart health.

8. Berry Powerful

Acai Powder

Moringa Powder

1 Banana

Mixed Berries

Acai can help promote mental health and has anti-aging effects. It also aids with weight loss and promotes skin health. Bananas help with depression and muscle cramps.

Enjoy!

Ellie Hawkins is a graduate of Suffolk University. She received a BA with Magna Cum Laude honors in print journalism. Ellie is an alumni of Theta Phi Alpha-Gamma Lambda chapter. During her time at Suffolk she was involved with The Suffolk Journal and the Journey Program. Journey is a leadership program that focuses on four focal points: leadership training, involvement, career exploration and service. She volunteered at the Paulist Center Soup kitchen and is still doing so today. Ellie recently went to El Salvador, in January, to help with Habitat for Humanity through her schools Alternative Winter Break program. Ellie enjoys photography, skiing, golf, and watching movies in her free time. Ellie is fortunate enough to live in one of the best cities in the world: Boston. This city provides her with many opportunities from having a marketing internship at the Franklin Park Zoo to taking long walks on the Charles river and exploring the city. She also had the opportunity to study abroad in Madrid in the summer of 2013 at the other Suffolk University location. My dream job is to either travel while writing about the different experiences I have or have a job at Discovery Communications in the PR department.
Originally from Connecticut, Erica attends Suffolk University in Boston, Massachusetts. She is a senior, majoring in public relations, and minoring in marketing. She founded Suffolk's chapter of Her Campus along with co-Campus Correspondent, Mackenzie Newcomb. has interned at a few start-up companies including Quincy Apparel and Good to Go Organics. She was also a public relations intern at Regan Communications Group, and is currently the advertising/marketing intern at The Improper Bostonian Magazine. Erica also works on Newbury Street at Jack Wills University Outfitters, a British clothing company that is expanding across America. She is very interested in the world of fashion, and hopes to make it big doing marketing/PR for a fashion magazine or as a publicist in New York City or LA upon graduation. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, hanging out with friends, going to the beach, reading, writing, and dancing.