Health Blog: The Importance of Naps

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

With school in full swing, we as students are involved in many different organizations, looking for jobs, meeting new friends everyday, staying up late, and losing sleep. However, sleep is one of the most vital elements that a student needs to make it through the day. Yes, everyone has heard this a million times from their parents, but parents know, and have learned through their own mistakes. That is why without at least 6 hours of sleep a night you can develop chronic sleep loss and develop unhealthy sleep patterns. Besides that, for us women, throughout time, loss of sleep can be a cause of heart disease.

Everyone usually jumps for energy drinks or coffee when they need a pick me up. But all you really need is an extra 20 minutes of sleep. Studies have shown that it takes about ten minutes for a person to fall through each level of the sleep cycle, and there are five cycles total:

In the first cycle you begin to relax. The second cycle begins to slow down activity in the brain. And in the third cycle you begin to fall into a deep sleep. When you nap you do not want to fall into the third cycle, because you will wake up more drowsy and sluggish than before you took a nap. By taking a 20 minute nap, it helps keep brain activity alert, makes you feel less stressed, and can enhance creativity. The prime time for napping is between 1 PM and 3 PM, this is because your energy level dips due to a rise in the hormone melatonin at that time of day.

Here are some tips to help yourself take a nap. It may sound crazy that there are tips to sleep, but they really do help:

·       Set an alarm clock. Sleeping more than 30 minutes can cause a person to feel more sluggish than before.

·       Nap in a dark place, or wear an eye mask or sweater to cover the face.

·       Nap in a quiet place so you can get the most of your nap.

·       Do not nap if you are going to go to sleep in the next three hours.

·       Caffeine nap: It takes 20 minutes for caffeine to absorb into the body. So drink a cup of coffee before napping, and you will wake up with an extra boost from the nap.

It is important to realize that napping will not always save a person during the day. It all starts with having good sleep habits. It’s good to take naps once a while, but do not become reliant on them to catch up on sleep all the time. Here are some tips for a better night’s sleep:

·       Stick to a sleep schedule: Try to always go to sleep and wake up with in the same fifteen minutes every day. This will help the body learn this sleep pattern and help you sleep better during the night.

·       Pay attention to what you eat and drink before bed: Do not go to bed too stuffed or too hungry. This can cause discomfort, and can keep you up. Try not to drink too much before bed either; this will limit late night trips to the bathroom.

·       Create a bedtime schedule: Doing the same things every night before bed can help your body realize it’s time to sleep. Read a book, take a shower, listen to relaxation music, or do some stretches.

·       Get comfortable: Create a room that is meant for sleeping. Make sure it is dark, have a fan or earplugs to block out environmental noises. Also make sure your mattress and pillow are comfortable to you.

·       Limit daytime naps: One nap that lasts for 10-30 minutes a day. No more than that!

·       Physical exercise: Regular exercise can promote deeper and better sleep.

·       Manage stress: When you have too much on your mind it can make it harder to fall asleep. Keep organized and space things out.

·       Use relaxing scents: By putting relaxing sashes of lavender or rose petals in your pillow cases, it can help you drift to sleep with ease. If you cannot get sashes, there are always sprays that you can spray on your pillow to help you fall asleep.

Ellie Hawkins is a graduate of Suffolk University. She received a BA with Magna Cum Laude honors in print journalism. Ellie is an alumni of Theta Phi Alpha-Gamma Lambda chapter. During her time at Suffolk she was involved with The Suffolk Journal and the Journey Program. Journey is a leadership program that focuses on four focal points: leadership training, involvement, career exploration and service. She volunteered at the Paulist Center Soup kitchen and is still doing so today. Ellie recently went to El Salvador, in January, to help with Habitat for Humanity through her schools Alternative Winter Break program. Ellie enjoys photography, skiing, golf, and watching movies in her free time. Ellie is fortunate enough to live in one of the best cities in the world: Boston. This city provides her with many opportunities from having a marketing internship at the Franklin Park Zoo to taking long walks on the Charles river and exploring the city. She also had the opportunity to study abroad in Madrid in the summer of 2013 at the other Suffolk University location. My dream job is to either travel while writing about the different experiences I have or have a job at Discovery Communications in the PR department.
Originally from Connecticut, Erica attends Suffolk University in Boston, Massachusetts. She is a senior, majoring in public relations, and minoring in marketing. She founded Suffolk's chapter of Her Campus along with co-Campus Correspondent, Mackenzie Newcomb. has interned at a few start-up companies including Quincy Apparel and Good to Go Organics. She was also a public relations intern at Regan Communications Group, and is currently the advertising/marketing intern at The Improper Bostonian Magazine. Erica also works on Newbury Street at Jack Wills University Outfitters, a British clothing company that is expanding across America. She is very interested in the world of fashion, and hopes to make it big doing marketing/PR for a fashion magazine or as a publicist in New York City or LA upon graduation. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, hanging out with friends, going to the beach, reading, writing, and dancing.