Health Blog: 8 Best Foods for De-Bloating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Winter weather has a tendency to completely take over your life . We’re forever fighting chapped lips, always facing numb noses when we step outside, and constantly caving into foods we should really resist. Winter also offers big, cozy, oversized sweaters and leggings—which become the ultimate cover-ups for the winter weight. By incorporating these 8 foods (a couple drinks, too) and indulging in all they have to offer, you will naturally de-bulk and de-bloat. Get ready to slip into those skinny jeans that have been tucked away since summer.

1.  Green Tea – Green tea is full of natural antioxidants that speed up metabolism and evidently do an excellent job at de-bloating. Green tea works with our digestive systems, helping our bodies absorb the “good” stuff in foods and detox the bad. Skip the skinny vanilla latte in the Starbucks line and grab a hot green tea to go instead.

2.  Kale – It’s simple… kale cleans. Kale contains over 45 different flavonoids, combining together to create the ultimate detoxifying and de-bloating leafy green. Similar to green tea, kale is high in antioxidants, which contributes to any inflammatory issues you may have. Kale also contains a crucial antioxidant to boost glutathione production, which without this, things can go horribly wrong. Without the proper amount of glutathione our organscan become inflamed, or worse – oxidize. So steam, blend, or crunch some kale!

3.  Honeydew Melon – High in vitamin C, honeydew melons will quickly detoxify our bodies of the free radicals we face everyday. Over time and exposure to natural free radicals, our cells become damaged, which results in inflammation. Our bodies can become overloaded with toxins. Therefore, without vitamin C to neutralize those toxins, we become bloated. With a regular dose of vitamin C, our bodies can repair the damaged cells and boost synthesis of collagen, making our skin smoother and less “puffy.” Sacrifice a sugary snack with a couple slices of honeydew melon—your body will do the rest.

4.  Asparagus – It’s time to appreciate this vegetable. Although it’s not too pleasant smelling hours after eating, it has great de-bloating benefits. Like the last three, asparagus is high in antioxidants. It has the ability to neutralize cell-damaging free radicals, as well as contribute loads of glutathione. It also contains high levels of the amino acid asparagine, a natural diuretic that increases urination while flushing out excess toxins, resulting in an evening in those skinny jeans. It’s time we overcome that putrid smell, and embrace all that this super veggie has to offer!

5.  Whole Grains – For the days we’re all craving some substantial comfort foods, look no further than whole grains. Sure, gluten free is great, but it’s whole grains that our body craves. Quinoa, brown rice pasta, or steel cut oats are excellent examples of whole grains. Because whole grains contain more fiber, they reduce the levels of C-reactive protein, which is a cause of inflammation. Carbohydrates that are not whole grains tend to sit in our stomachs, slowly breaking down and bloating our bodies.

6.  Berries – Sticking with the theme of antioxidants, berries are a good subject to touch upon next. Raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, and cranberries all contain antioxidants that fight oxidative stress brought on by free radicals. Similar to asparagus, berries contain high amounts of vitamin C, which boost collagen production. Berries are also considered “juicy foods” because they are primarily water—both filling us up and flushing us out. Consider berries as sweet treats that come without the guilt.

7.  Apple Cider Vinegar – Although it might sound far-fetched, apple cider vinegar could quite possibly be a cure all. It can reduce redness and swelling from the outside tremendously as well as de-bloat our bodies from the inside. Consuming apple cider vinegar can help maintain a healthy alkaline pH level in our bodies, detoxing our systems of any “junk” we’ve accumulated in our livers. It does wonders to that puffiness we face the day after consuming anything we regret. Try it diluted in water, with lemon and/or honey in shots.

8.  Broccoli – Similar properties to those of kale, broccoli is another superfood that boosts de-bloating. It is high in vitamin C, and helps get rid of carcinogenic compounds. Its nutrients help aid our systems in releasing toxins that build up and cause us to bloat. 

Originally from Connecticut, Erica attends Suffolk University in Boston, Massachusetts. She is a senior, majoring in public relations, and minoring in marketing. She founded Suffolk's chapter of Her Campus along with co-Campus Correspondent, Mackenzie Newcomb. has interned at a few start-up companies including Quincy Apparel and Good to Go Organics. She was also a public relations intern at Regan Communications Group, and is currently the advertising/marketing intern at The Improper Bostonian Magazine. Erica also works on Newbury Street at Jack Wills University Outfitters, a British clothing company that is expanding across America. She is very interested in the world of fashion, and hopes to make it big doing marketing/PR for a fashion magazine or as a publicist in New York City or LA upon graduation. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, hanging out with friends, going to the beach, reading, writing, and dancing.