Graduation…And Then What?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Graduation day is fast approaching for many students.  And May 19th--20th marks graduation weekend for Suffolk University.  But what does that mean?  For some it means starting a job.  For others it means moving. For each and every graduate, it means a transition to the next chapter of his or her life…into the real world.  Scary stuff, right?  Freshman year seemed as though it was only yesterday…

Come on graduates, you have waited four years or longer to get to this point!  You have endured all-nighters downing red bull, countless exams & assignments, bad professors, awesome professors, gross cafeteria food, friendships, drama (yes, it still continues in college), relationships, parties, your first roommates, and possibly your first apartment.  Graduation can be an exciting time of celebration, a time of panic, and time of incredible emotion.  Of course it is…you’re saying goodbye to possibly one of the most memorable and incredible experiences of your life. Who wouldn’t want college fun to last forever?

I’m guessing the last thing each and every graduate feels like being asked by friends and family is, “what are your plans for the future?” In this economy, WHO KNOWS??? Having a job lined up to start after graduation is, unfortunately, a rare occurrence. In addition, you have to decide on where to live and how to pay for it! You have the freedom (and responsibility) to live your own life now, on your own terms. So be sure to make the best of it.

You can do this! It may take some time…and may involve moving home for a bit.  There are many creative choices as you search for your future.  Just remember how hard you worked to get to this point, and how much you have grown, both mentally and emotionally, since you started your first year of college.  Each step you take now will lead to another new, exciting chapter in your life.  It may not be the one you originally planned on, but that doesn’t mean it won’t be awesome.

Congratulations to each and every one of you as you complete your final weeks at Suffolk. Nobody said happiness or success would be easy to achieve; if they were, everyone would have both of them.  Keep a positive attitude, embrace life and enjoy every second of the journey!  You only live once, which means graduating college is a milestone to truly celebrate in your life.  So throw those caps up in the air with much pride and excitement…because this is for you, seniors!  Good luck and best of life to all of you!

My name is Alexa Mellardo and I am currently a sophomore and Broadcast Journalism major at Suffolk University, located in the heart of one of the most charming cities in the world: Boston. A passionate journalist, I am fortunate to be doing what I love to do….writing! When I’m not composing articles for two awesome online publications (hercampus.com and also collegefashionista.com) and attending classes, I intern at a trendy magazine in the city. In between, I love to shop and spend time with my friends and my boyfriend. I have two addictions: shopping and cupcakes. In light of that, what better place to be than just blocks away from Newbury Street, Charles Street and Quincy Market? My quaint, vintage brownstone apartment in Beacon Hill is where my two best friends and I keep it strictly classy and fashionable. We turned our apartment into a comfy fashionable haven, and we enjoy relaxing and entertaining our friends. Living in such an awesome city provides a wealth of opportunity, fun, and culture to embrace. My dream is to one day be a respected, well-known broadcast journalist.
Originally from Connecticut, Erica attends Suffolk University in Boston, Massachusetts. She is a senior, majoring in public relations, and minoring in marketing. She founded Suffolk's chapter of Her Campus along with co-Campus Correspondent, Mackenzie Newcomb. has interned at a few start-up companies including Quincy Apparel and Good to Go Organics. She was also a public relations intern at Regan Communications Group, and is currently the advertising/marketing intern at The Improper Bostonian Magazine. Erica also works on Newbury Street at Jack Wills University Outfitters, a British clothing company that is expanding across America. She is very interested in the world of fashion, and hopes to make it big doing marketing/PR for a fashion magazine or as a publicist in New York City or LA upon graduation. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, hanging out with friends, going to the beach, reading, writing, and dancing.