A Freshman’s Guide to Staying Healthy and Fit in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Staying healthy and fit can be an exceptionally challenging task for collegiates. From late night studying, snacking on pizzas and downing Red Bull, to nonstop partying on the weekends, a healthy diet can be one of the most difficult routines to maintain during the college experience. We are all familiar with the feared “Freshman 15,” and it is indeed not a friendly acquaintance. This is why I have provided several beneficial tips to get into a good routine, help stay on track, and keep those cute skinny jeans fitting the sexy way they should!

Think about what you are putting on your lunch tray. College cafeteria food is not all that appealing, but you can still make healthy choices! Avoid greasy, fatty meals such as pizza, french fries and burgers. Even if that red velvet cupcake is calling your name…try to resist! They may be extremely delicious, but are not very healthy choices. Remember girls, once on the lips…forever on the hips! Replace these unhealthy selections with protein and vegetables; a crispy salad with grilled chicken, or salmon with spinach. If you are still hungry for a snack after your meal, pick out something nutritious, for example, fruit, yogurt, or trail mix. Indulging every once in awhile is okay, but don’t make the Steak and Cheese at 150 a dietary staple. And of course, always drink water throughout your day. Bring a bottled water or cup of green tea with you to class to say healthy and hydrated. 

Get a good night sleep. Try to go to bed at a reasonable time several nights during the week. When you are lacking sleep, both your health and academic performance will suffer. You may also feel the urge to fall asleep in early morning classes, or claim you are tired throughout the day. Doctors recommend that we get at least nine hours of sleep each night. Unfortunately, most of us students get six or less hours. When we are fully rested, we feel and look so much better. So ladies, try hard to get your beauty rest!

Exercise. Exercising improves your mood and overall well-being. Start a weekly routine at the gym. Even if you only go for a little while one day when you are crammed with classes and assignments, every bit counts! Do something you love. Running, biking through campus, swimming laps, or joining one of the University’s sport teams are all great for your body and mind. Walk whenever you get the chance, whether it is up the stairs to your dorm room or to class. In addition, drinking is a major contributor to the “Freshman 15,” which most students overlook. Beer and mixed drinks have tons of calories. Think before you drink: a 12 oz. can of beer can be 120 calories or more! Without exercising, it is easy to develop unappealing flab on your body; not flattering for bikini season…or any season for that matter!

Don’t stress! As far as stress and guy/girl drama are concerned, stay as far away from it as much as possible and move the heck on. Girls tend to spend forever analyzing every single aspect of a situation wondering what they did wrong, why things ended up the way they did, or what could have happened if they acted differently. Take the smarter option and higher road: drop it and move on. If someone is causing you unnecessary stress, they are so not worth it! You will meet far too many people who are just passing through your life; it is the true friends that make you laugh constantly, never take you for granted, give you the best advice you can ever ask for, bring you soup when you are sick in bed, and who will eat cookies with you until you get fat (or better yet, hide them so you stay slim!). They are the true friends that will “leave permanent footsteps in your heart” – Eleanor Roosevelt.

Staying healthy, in all aspects of life, is extremely rewarding. If you are healthy and fit, you will be happier with yourself, and more motivated to get involved and do better academically. Simply put, when you look good and surround yourself with awesome friends, you shine from the inside out. Keep these tips in mind throughout your college career. Always remember: exercise, eat right, and sleep well. Absolutely, positively, avoid drama and stress whenever possible. Make these years count!

About the Author:

Name: Alexa Mellardo
Academic Year: 2015
Major: Broadcast Journalism
Hometown: Trumbull, CT
Sign: Aries

Involvement: Member of Theta Phi Alpha sorority, Journalist for HC Suffolk, Intern at collegefashionista.com, & Member of the Journey program.

My name is Alexa Mellardo and I am currently a sophomore and Broadcast Journalism major at Suffolk University, located in the heart of one of the most charming cities in the world: Boston. A passionate journalist, I am fortunate to be doing what I love to do….writing! When I’m not composing articles for two awesome online publications (hercampus.com and also collegefashionista.com) and attending classes, I intern at a trendy magazine in the city. In between, I love to shop and spend time with my friends and my boyfriend. I have two addictions: shopping and cupcakes. In light of that, what better place to be than just blocks away from Newbury Street, Charles Street and Quincy Market? My quaint, vintage brownstone apartment in Beacon Hill is where my two best friends and I keep it strictly classy and fashionable. We turned our apartment into a comfy fashionable haven, and we enjoy relaxing and entertaining our friends. Living in such an awesome city provides a wealth of opportunity, fun, and culture to embrace. My dream is to one day be a respected, well-known broadcast journalist.
Mackenzie's the name, Campus Correspondant for Suffolk is my game.