Fashion Week Coverage: NY

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

For the next four weeks we are going to be giving you the details and info you need to know about the four biggest and most important fashion weeks; New York City (Mercedes-Benz), London, Milan and Paris.

First– New York City

New York Fashion Week was the first ever organized fashion week, although back then it was called “Press Week.” It was held in 1943 as an attempt to draw focus away from the Paris fashion shows during World War II. Fashion insiders could not travel to France and see the shows, due to the war; therefore “Press Week” was organized to showcase American designers. In the Fall of 2009, Mercedes-Benz became the official sponsor so from then on we have been referring to it as ‘Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week.’

Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week makes New York the first city to kick off two months of fashion, they host the extravagant event twice a year in February and in September. The February event showcases the Autumn/Winter collections; giving buyers and press a chance to preview what to buy for the upcoming fall season. In September, New York City kicks off the second part; showcasing Spring/Summer collections.Some of the amazing American designers featured during Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week include Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein, Vera Wang and Anna Sui.

Anna Sui

It is often forgotten that Anna Sui is American due to the fact that she has become so popular around the world. Anna has been making clothes since she was a child. In 1981 she first marketed her designs, and immediately got orders from Bloomingdales and Macy’s. In the fall of 1991 Anna staged her first fashion show – and it was a major success. Her unique patterns and colorful dresses speak to consumers’ worldwide. 

SS 13 Collection

Calvin Klein

Calvin Klein’s designs are know for being simple, elegant and fabulous. Being the best-known name in US Fashion, Klein started the clothing company Calvin Klein Ltd. in 1967 with childhood friend Barry Schwartz. In 1982 they were the first brand to make launch designer-branded underwear for men. Although the designer was already popular; their ten-second showcase in the hit movie Back to the Future secured their spot on the coolness radar.

SS 13

Ralph Lauren

This brilliant man is popular all-around but is best known for his jeans and suits. He started off making men’s ties; and eventually moved towards women’s suits in the 1960´s. Under the RL Corporation you have everything you might need, from clothes to fragrances to furniture. The company has several different clothing lines, satisfying every customer’s need. These lines include their Purple and Black Label, Polo Sport and Denim & Supply.

SS 13

Vera Wang

This remarkable designer is best known for her fabulous wedding collections. But there’s oh so much more to see! Wang started out as the Fashion editor at Vogue in the 1970’s, she quit after being denied the Editor-in-chief position, handed to Anna Wintour. In the 1994 Olympics, silver medalist Nancy Kerrigan wore one of Vera’s pieces. It doesn’t stop there; besides her high fashion pieces seen below from the SS 2013 show, the Philadelphia Eagles cheerleaders are currently wearing Vera’s two-piece design.

SS 13

Matilda is our Style Section Editor from Sweden. Born in Sweden, she grew up partially in Paris and Boston as well. Entering her Junior year, she has been with Her Campus for three years!
Mackenzie's the name, Campus Correspondant for Suffolk is my game.