DJ OBie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

If your into the club scene in Boston,
there is a very good chance you’ve seen
this Campus Celeb in action.

Name: Dan Wairi aka DJ Obie
Year of Graduation: 2009
Major: Communication, Advertising
Astrological Sign: Scorpio
Hometown: Somerville, MA

Me: What was your favorite part of Suffolk?
Dan: The location. I liked commuting into Boston every morning, never seeing the same thing or the same people twice. It made me feel like an “adult.”

Me: What made you get involved in the music business?
Dan: I kind of fell into it. When I first entered colege I wanted to do TV, but I enrolled in classes late so all that was left was a radio class. So I figured “What the heck, its almost the same thing.” The professor for the radio class had taught Jim Clerkin; the producer of Kiss 108’s Matty in the Morning show, and every semester she sent her favorite student to be an intern on the show. I still feel blessed she chose me, as I have been working in radio ever since taking that class freshman year.

Me: How did you start DJ’ing?
Dan: When I was interning at KISS I felt like EVERYONE who worked there was a DJ, so I was always curious about it. One day Rich Dimare, another producer for Matty In the Morning asked me to help him carry his equipment and set up a wedding he was DJ’ing. After seeing how much fun he was having I went out and bought my 1st set up and began practicing. For 18 months no one knew I was DJ’ing, I was just down in my basement practicing for hours on end. Slowly I started doing some house parties around Somerville, then some smaller bars in the city. I DJ’d my highschool reunion at the Greatest Bar and was noticed by some promoters. Since then I have been DJ’ing in Boston.

Me: What was your favorite gig you ever did?
Dan:
Tie. The Barstool Sports Booze Cruise Series last summer were awesome –two parties of over 1,000 people. I’ve never felt that kind of energy from a crowd before. And this summer I was invited to DJ at Sway Lounge in NYC. It was my 1st time ever in New York City, and I have never played for a crowd and venue so open to ALL different types of music. I am hoping to return back there in the fall.

Facebook: DJ OBie
Twitter: @DJ_OBie
Soundcloud: DJ Obie

Hey! I'm Lisa and I am a senior at Suffolk. I am a Public Relations major with a minor in marketing.