Christina DelRosso ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

I recently sat down with Christina DelRosso, a freshman studying Communications/Broadcast Journalism. She will be competing at the Miss Massachusetts Teen U.S.A. pageant this November in Lowell, MA.. In addition to her gorgeous looks, Christina is an extremely genuine and humble person, which I’m sure will shine through on stage next month.

Name: Christina DelRosso

Age: 18

Hometown: Haverhill, MA

Major: Communications/Broadcast Journalism

Hobbies: Skiing, Working out, Community Service, and of course Starbucks.

AM: How did you first get involved in the pageant world?

Christina: When I was twelve years old I received a pamphlet in the mail advertising a local pageant. I come from a very athletic family so I knew my parents wouldn’t be too keen on the idea of me competing. I filled the application out by myself, and a couple of weeks later I learned that I had been accepted. My parents eventually came around to the idea and have supported me ever since.

AM: What exactly is the Miss Massachusetts Teen U.S.A. Pageant?

Christina: It is a part of The Miss Universe Organization. Whoever receives the title will have the chance to represent Massachusetts at the Miss Teen U.S.A. pageant in the Bahamas later this year.

AM: What did you have to do in order to prepare for the pageant?

Christina: I had to work two separate jobs in order to pay for all of the expenses. (For those of you who don’t know, pageants are not a cheap hobby.) My health is my number one priority, so I plan all of my meals to ensure that my body is getting all of the proper nutrients it needs. I practice strength training and cardio five times a week with my trainer, Scott Reed. It’s a big commitment because I have to travel all the way to Rhode Island to see him, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. 

AM: What is your favorite part about competing?

Christina: When I reach the end of the runway and can hear the screams of my family and friends in the audience. My head is held high and I realize I finally accomplished all of my goals. The feeling is indescribable and I leave everything I have up on that stage.

AM: What is the most stressful part about competing in a pageant?

Christina: Waiting for my dress to come in!!!

AM: What advice would you give to someone who is interested in entering the pageant world?

Christina: This is going to sound really cliche, but anyone can compete in a pageant. With that being said, it takes a special young woman who wants to empower herself and others to be a true winner. The key to success is embracing your individuality and loving who you are. Miss Massachusetts Teen U.S.A. stands for a confident, beautiful woman and that is a role I hope to fit.

AM: Can you tell me about your community involvement projects?

Christina: When I was two years old I was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. I have been cancer free for quite a few years, but am still very involved in the community. This past September I walked in the Jimmy Fund and raised thousands of dollars for cancer research and awareness. Last year, I participated in an event at Mass General Hospital called, “Queen For the Day,” which gave children with cancer a chance to forget about their everyday routine. I have always said that cancer doesn’t diminish your love for life, but instead strengthens it until we can find a cure.

AM: What is it like living in Boston and attending Suffolk University?

Christina: Walking the streets of Boston is very similar to walking on stage. (Minus the gown and heels of course) I walk with confidence, know exactly where I am going and what I want to pursue. I love Suffolk University and am excited about my future. I hope to become a reporter for an entertainment channel or a New England News Station. I am still trying to figure out my path but that’s where my heart is.