Campus Cutie Jake Athyal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Full Name: Jake Athyal

Academic Year: 2014

Major: Communication/Journalism

Minor: Theatre

Hometown: Ernakulam, Kerala, India

Relationship Status: Single

Astrological sign: Aquarius

Twitter/facebook/blog: Jake Athyal (FB)

Biggest turn-on: Laughter

Biggest turn-off: Inconsideration.

Celebrity crush and why: Sharbat Gula. She was living as a refugee in Pakistan when a picture of her was taken Steve McCurry and was made the cover of National Geography. Her eyes are simply stunning.

Future career goals/ambitions: I’m still trying my best to make a decision between Broadcast Journalism and Theatre. I’m very aware I’m going to have to give the upper hand to one, but I’m holding out on that decision for as long as I can. I’m aware it’s not a very smart thing to do, but I’ve fallen for both.

Hobbies/interests: I love acting and have been fortunate enough to be part of multiple productions. I was captain of my soccer team back in high school in India for two years.

Who would you consider your “man crush”: Barack Obama

Least favorite fashion trend for girls: Uggs

Campus Activities: Theatre Department Productions, PAO Productions, Techies Union, Speech and Debate Team

Three words you’d use to describe yourself: Happy, adventurous and naive.

What advice would you give to a girl trying to impress you?: Don’t. Be yourself. I’m a lot more interested in who you are and have no intention of changing you. Don’t over think it.

If you had to be stuck on a deserted island for an entire year with another student at Suffolk university who would it be: I had the pleasure of meeting and working with a SU veteran John Mensch. We worked on “At Ease”, a Suffolk production. He was a Marine. If anyone can help me survive a year, it would be him.

If you had to pick a song to be the theme song to your life what would it be? “Let It Be” by the Beatles

Most embarrassing moment (keep it relatively appropriate): I’ve told a lot of people this story. First day of class at Suffolk; Intro to Theatre, professor walks in, I stand up. I could feel people’s eyes on me and quickly sat back down. In India, you always stand every time a professor walked in or out of class. I didn’t even realize I was getting up until I was very much on my feet.

Best part about your Suffolk experience so far: Being part of the Summer Theatre Ensemble Workshop (STEW) where we performed for incoming freshmen at orientation. Mainly cause the orientation staff is impeccable. I am very proud of this school, but something special happens during orientation when we put out Suffolk’s best and most welcoming. It very much motivated me to be more welcoming and outgoing. I’m still close to my orientation leaders.

What is an interesting fact about you most people don’t know: I work at the Boston Tea Party Ships And Museum and often portray Samuel Adams. Yeah, there have been a couple awkward moments.

Most romantic thing you’ve ever done for someone: Once on Valentine’s Day I snuck into a class, gave a girl a bouquet and ran out. Everyone but the class professor saw me (she was writing on the board). Now that I think about it realize I got pretty lucky.

If people were to give you a superlative, what do you think it would be? “Most likely to use dynamite to go fishing”, but seriously, I know close to nothing about fishing. Or dynamite now that I come to think about it.

Julia is a senior at Suffolk University in Boston, MA. She is an English major and Psychology minor and is the Blog Section Editor and a Campus Correspondent for HC Suffolk. After graduation, she hopes to write for magazines such as Glamour or Cosmopolitan, where she can pursue her interest in sex, love and relationships, beauty/make up, and fashion.