Campus Celebrity: Ashley Cullinane

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Sophomore Ashley Cullinane is 1 of 4 students picked out of 20+ for this semesters’ Suffolk in the City segment, which airs on NECN. ‬‬

Name:‬ Ashley Cullinane‬

Major:‬ Broadcast Journalism Major‬‬‬

Year:‬ 2015‬‬‬

Hometown:‬ Braintree, MA‬‬‬

Favorite TV Show:‬ How I Met Your Mother, The Walking Dead‬‬‬

LC: Why did you choose to come to Suffolk, and what’s your favorite thing about the school? ‬‬

Ashley: I love the city atmosphere. It’s a great city for major opportunities as opposed to a school in the “middle of nowhere”. There are a lot the school offers, and it’s easy to make good connections. Suffolk offers a lot of independence, and although there is not much of an actual campus, the students here create their own.

LC: What else are you involved with on campus?

Ashley: Suffolk in the City, I’m on the E-Board of Suffolk Rampage show Choir, and I just started writing for The Voice.

LC: What were auditions like?‬‬ ‬‬

Ashley: For the auditions, we had to interview people on the street. We got to pick our own topic and do our own lead and tag on camera. We then sent our auditions to NECN, which was absolutely terrifying but beyond exciting.

LC: What was your first segment like?‬‬‬‬

Ashley: Before I went on the air, I talked to the producers about a topic, interviewed some people and edited it into a package.  Doing my first live shot was crazy… I don’t think my heart has ever beaten faster. I had earpieces in to hear anchors and producers. I was extremely nervous. I looked right into the camera lens and pictured Bridget and Steve (the two Morning Show anchors) and it made me feel more comfortable.

LC: Would you rather be a news anchor, or a TV host like E, TMZ etc.‬‬‬‬

Ashley: Out of those two choices I’d say anchor, I have a growing passion for news- although the crazy dream of any E! position would be awesome. Besides those, I’m more interested in going into news producing.

LC: Favorite class/professor?‬‬‬‬

Ashley: My favorite class at the moment is TV News Producing. Being in a class with all upperclassmen is intimidating, but I’m learning a lot much sooner than I thought I would. Dana  Rosengard is my favorite professor. As much as I stress out, that’s what the news business entails. I need my core classes to be rigorous and taught by someone with experience if I want to get a job right out of graduation.

LC: What do you hope to gain from Suffolk?‬‬‬‬

Ashley: A lot of hands-on experience and some great friends, which I already have. I want to become a better person as I’m trying to become a better journalist.

Intersted in Ashley?

Blog: wickedgoodnews.wordpress.com

Twitter: @a_cullinane

Instagram: @ashleycull

Hey! I'm Lisa and I am a senior at Suffolk. I am a Public Relations major with a minor in marketing.  
Mackenzie's the name, Campus Correspondant for Suffolk is my game.