Campus Celebrity: Alexa Mellardo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Name: Alexa Mellardo

Class of 2015

Hometown: Trumbull, CT

Major: Broadcast Journalism

Most students need at least one internship to graduate. In just her second year at Suffolk, sophomore Alexa Mellardo already has two! Alexa is a fashion blogger for College Fashionista and interns at Scene Magazine! This stylish Suffolk student also writes for Her Campus and is a member of Theta Phi Alpha!

What is CollegeFashionista?

CollegeFashionista is a trendy online fashion publication, featuring articles written by its staff of college journalists like me, from campuses around the world, who are passionate about fashion. The publication includes different style columns such as: Let’s Hear it for the Boys, Accessories Report, All About Beauty, and What to Wear. I write for the Style Advice of the Week section, where I spot out and photograph chic and stylish fashionistas(os) on the street. I write about their outfit/accessories and give style advice to our readers.

When/How did you get involved with College Fashionista?

I started writing for CollegeFashionista in June 2012. I went through an application process and interview for the CF editorial internship, and was so excited to be accepted as a “Style Guru” (writer) for the publication.

How would you describe your personal style?

I would describe my personal style as elegant, tasteful, always chic, and fun. I love wearing my black patent leather pumps with black tights, jewels and a long sleeved sweater dress, but I also love my ripped jeans with booties and an oversized sweater just as much! There is nothing that I enjoy more than going to school in such a stylish city. Whether it is dressing up for class or out to dinner with the girls, I always love putting together a unique outfit. I have an extreme shopping addiction – living in the city and close to Newbury Street does NOT help matters – it is so easy to keep up on the latest fashion trends on the city streets. Opportunity always presents itself at the times when you least expect it, so I believe you should always look and be your best!

Who is your style icon?

In addition to being my all-time role model, Audrey Hepburn is my style icon. This Fashionista knew how to work it all – from on screen to out on the streets. Her style is irrevocably timeless and classy. She always looked effortlessly elegant at all times, whether she was wearing oversized sunglasses, black pants and a cute sweater or when she was dressed in her long gloves and draped in jewels. She has accomplished so much, always looking completely chic, composed and beautiful. She defined classy.

If you had to pick one outfit to wear every day forever what would you wear?

Such a hard decision! The only way I would possibly be able to narrow this down is based on the season:

Fall/winter: high heel black suede boots, black leggings, white oversized cable knit sweater, white wool/fur circle scarf, black patent leather bag and ray-ban wayfarers. 

Spring: tight cotton sundress, bright colored sweater, jewels and brown leather boots.

Summer: maxi dress, dark denim jacket and leather sandals.

What are some of your duties as intern at Scene Magazine? 
Interning at Scene Magazine is awesome. One of the many benefits of attending school in the city is the opportunity that completely surrounds you. Located right in the North End, Scene is all about the best in food, wine, fashion, culture and entertainment. Working closely with the editor-in-chief, I am learning so much about my field of journalism. I fact check, attend photo shoots, work with advertisers on featured products, and even have the opportunity to write blurbs and articles. Of course I also help with day-to-day tasks like post office and coffee runs. Nothing spectacular in life ever comes without a lot of effort, and coffee runs are no problem since in addition to fashion, a bakery is my next favorite place to be! =)

What is your favorite part of your internship?

I am working in the field that I am passionate about. I love meeting and networking with new people. Being treated as part of the team (not just the college intern) is a great feeling. I know that I am learning so much at Scene. My internship has re-confirmed that I totally love my chosen field of study and career, and I am going in the right direction…one that is meant for me. I think the confidence and assurance my internship has given me for the path that I have chosen for my future is definitely my favorite part of it all.

How are you involved on Campus?

In addition to my internship, I am a writer for HerCampus.com =), a member of Theta Phi Alpha (in addition to holding two positions in the sorority) and a writer for the Suffolk Voice.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? 

I hope to be a distinguished writer for an elite fashion magazine – that is my dream job. Fashion and writing are two of my favorite passions, so I would love to do a combination of the two.

Check out Alexa’s article on College Fashionista : http://www.collegefashionista.com/school/suffolk_university/guru/7880/

Nicole Rosa Major: Advertising Academic Year: 2015 Bio: I was born and raised in Wallingford, CT. Softball is basically my life. I've been playing for 14 years and I'm a shortstop and catcher on the Suffolk team. I'm the manager of the Rent the Runway Campus Rep team at Suffolk. I love love love photography, fashion, decorating, rap music, and sports!