Blast from the Past: Life as a Kid in the 90’s!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Growing up in the 90’s was simply awesome, to say the least. Do you ever find yourself reminiscing and wishing you could bring back some of the games, toys, TV shows, songs/artists, and sayings from this era? For many of us, we spent nearly half our lives in the 90’s. So it’s only healthy to take a trip down memory lane sometimes and recall the sweet memories of childhood. Take a look at these iconic 90’s items, and see if you can remember your own memories with these things!

Remember these games + toys!?

Giga Pets – Who didn’t have a giga pet!? The virtual pet that you literally needed to devote all of your attention to or else it would die! Remember when they first started to get big, and you would literally see them everywhere (especially attached to the zippers of backpacks of classmates)? There were all different types and brands, but one day they disappeared from classrooms forever. They became such a distraction to children that they were banned from schools. I guess you could say that these were the “cell phones” of our time.

Easy Bake Oven – This was probably one of the best toys a little girl could own at a young age. Now that we are older, we look back and realize that this was society teaching little girls to bake at a young age. But well always recall those days when we would bake for our families and friends, even though as they most likely didn’t think a cookie or cake cooked by a light bulb was the most appetizing of deserts!

Furby – What started out to be such a fun toy, turned quickly into one of the most annoying toys to date. Trying to learn “furbish” to talk to the thing was enough, never mind when it started talking in the middle of the night asking you to feed it! It wasn’t long before these pests got stuffed in the back of our closets for good!

Polly Pocket– You could literally fit her little house and friends in your pocket, and that was the coolest thing to any little girl. Now she’s  become a normal size barbie with a normal size house and accessories – where’s the fun in that!?

Mouse Trap – This game took longer to set up than it did to play. I can guarantee I am not the only one who would get tired after setting it up, lose interest and just watch the trap to see what happens. To this day I don’t think I even know how to play the real way!

These are only a few of the toys and games that were popular in the 90’s. Some of the other ones include: Skip-It, Razor Scooters, Chicken Limbo, Password Journal (the original!), Game Boy Color, and so many more. The list could go on forever!
 [pagebreak]
How about these TV shows!?

Who didn’t love Boy Meets World growing up in the 90’s/early 2000’s!? Every tween wanted a relationship like Cory and Topanga’s (maybe you still do), and a principal who cared as much as Mr. Feeny. This show is and always will be a classic.

Remember when staying up late to watch SNICK (Saturday Night Nickelodeon) was what you looked forward to every day? Even if we don’t want to admit it now – it was. SNICK featured shows like “Clarissa Explains it All,” “Kenan and Kel,” “All That,” “Are You Afraid of the Dark,” “The Adventures of Pete & Pete,” and definitely a few others, that every tween just loved to watch.

Admit it, The Amanda Show was hilarious. My all time favorite skit in this show was “Blockblister.” I bet I’m not the only one who would still die laughing if I watched it today, as obnoxious as some people may find it to be.

You’ve gotta remember the music…

Let’s face it, the top three bands in our generation were definately The Backstreet Boys, NSYNC, and The Spice Girls. What girl growing up during this time didn’t have a crush on one of these boys, and publicly wanted to be a Spice Girl? Remember plastering your bedroom with posters from J14 and BOP magazines, listening to their CD’s, and watching Spice World over and over and over again?

…and though we may not want to admit it….the sayings. 
One of the most embarrassing things from the 90’s weren’t the outfits our parents dressed us in, or how they did our hair for school pictures. Reminiscing on the time with my friends, we have come up with some ridiculous sayings that we used to say all the time!

• “The Bomb” (awesome)
  • “Phat” (cool)
  • “SIKE!” (just kidding)
  • “If you love it so much, why don’t you marry it?”
  • “You’re cut” (I’m breaking up with you)
  • “As if”
  • “All that and a bag of chips”  (not quite sure where we were going with this one!)

These are just a few of the countless iconic images of the 90’s. I encourage everyone to leave comments with their favorite things and memories from the 90’s!

Hey! I'm Lisa and I am a senior at Suffolk. I am a Public Relations major with a minor in marketing.  
Originally from Connecticut, Erica attends Suffolk University in Boston, Massachusetts. She is a senior, majoring in public relations, and minoring in marketing. She founded Suffolk's chapter of Her Campus along with co-Campus Correspondent, Mackenzie Newcomb. has interned at a few start-up companies including Quincy Apparel and Good to Go Organics. She was also a public relations intern at Regan Communications Group, and is currently the advertising/marketing intern at The Improper Bostonian Magazine. Erica also works on Newbury Street at Jack Wills University Outfitters, a British clothing company that is expanding across America. She is very interested in the world of fashion, and hopes to make it big doing marketing/PR for a fashion magazine or as a publicist in New York City or LA upon graduation. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, hanging out with friends, going to the beach, reading, writing, and dancing.