Bills, Acts, and More that Could Affect Us In The 21st Century

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

There are so many things happening in the political scene, and it may be challenging to keep up. Here are four bills and acts that may have drastic impacts in the near future.

CS/HB 1467: K-12 Education (Passed): Signed by Governor Ron DeSantis, this bill gives parents more say in school curriculums. This impacts books, most notable, and can be harmful at times. Several books regarding historical figures and events are slowly being banned, even including books like The Life of Rosa Parks.

House Bill 1491 (Not Passed): This bill would have allowed a free meal program to give free food to students from low-income families. There is still a slight chance that the bill could come around again. Republicans voted no on this bill. It’s important to note, however, that they did vote in favor of increasing their own meal reimbursements.

Respect for Marriage Act (Passed): Openly supported by Senator Tammy Baldwin of the Democratic Caucus, this was after Roe Vs. Wade’s overturn happened. This is a step in the right direction in protecting the rights of others. Especially since, according to Household Pulse Survey, around 20 million adults could be part of the LGBTQ+ community.

Safer Community Act (Passed): This is in effect and deals with the sectors of the mental health system, school safety programs, and gun safety laws. This is a step in the right direction, but there is more that needs to be done. According to the gun violence archive, there have been four or more killed or shot per incident.

It is in the best interest for the people by the people to check in with state, local, and nationwide laws, bills, acts, proposals, and more. To want to protect the rights of humans is not political, but simply the right thing to do. There are ways to make sure that your voices are heard. Some practical ways would be engaging with social media, protests, and rallies. Making sure that you are educated, well-informed, and prepared to take action is a must during times like these.

I'm a freshman at Suffolk University majoring in Public Relations(PR). I'm Salvadorian and was born and raised there during my childhood years. Topics and beliefs that interest me are pop culture and also women's rights. That is because the influences that come from the mainstream hold weight in our values and morals but it’s entertaining as well. As for women's rights, I just find it important for one to advocate for oneself and also for other women because we are all in this together.