The Best and Worst of Oscars 2013 Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Denying the significance of fashion in the world of award shows would strip any ceremony of one of its most tangible and comprehensive elements. Of course we all tune in for the analysis that critics and audiences alike give a film and the hundreds of aspects that goes into its production, but the transparency in the awarding process isn’t very accessible to at-home viewers. I feel personally wronged when a film or actress I was rooting for gets snubbed (who cares if I haven’t seen the winning movie…completely irrelevant). I do, however, feel that to compensate for the control that crazy type-A personalities lack in this process, we are given our own, mini performances to judge, and that is the red carpet.

Anne Hathaway

I have a problem with Anne Hathaway, and it sprouts from my pre-teen obsession with the Princess Diaries.  I cannot see any of her performances without thinking that her princess lessons make her over act/annunciate and the only reason she has any self confidence now is because she waxed her eye brows. But I have to admit that she looked unbelievable at the Oscars. Everything about her Prada dress was perfection. The silhouette embodied everything that was great about 90’s fashion, showcasing her shoulders and long neck. The front gave us well-tailored minimalism, but the behind view solidified her spot as a movie star. The open back was the perfect antidote for the high neck in the front. And the Tiffany’s necklace (in combination with her grown out pixie) screams modern Audrey Hepburn at breakfast. 

At such a peak in her career, Hathaway chose modest yet sophisticated glamour to compliment her dark and moving role as Fantine in Les Miserables (for which she won best supporting actress). Because she has recently escalated in fame, she could very easily gone for huge drama, a dress with a train, glitz, bold color, the works. But she kept it classic and demure to further her work as Fantine. Even after the film has wrapped, we see Hathaway embodying that spirit of her character. That, I believe, is the mark of a star.

Charlize Theron

My vote for best dressed. Theron always delivers. Minimalism is a trend that is asserting itself in fashion (thank God) after a brief period of everything just being a little too much. I’m talking studded overload, bad 80’s, wanna-be edgy that doesn’t translate as well as fashion instagrammers would hope. Theron is the fashion Gods answer to the next wave of new aged dressing: simple, and clean. She is statuesque in Dior, which we have seen her do countless times as the face of the house’s fragrance line, but never get quite sick of. The structure of the bodice is immaculate, and is the perfect architectural frame for her edged out pixie. The train and detailed peplum keeps the look for being too harsh and helps Theron maintain some feminine quality. The balance between minimalism in such a pure white with her platinum cut is probably more edgy than Dior would have liked, but Theron proves that she is always one step ahead of the curve.

Check out more of the best looks after the jump!

[pagebreak]

Amanda Seyfried

First glance of Seyfried is not an impressive one. She looks a little washed out, being so fair and blonde in an off-white gown. Visually, Seyfried would get a grade of a B-. But a further look completely changed my opinion. Her creation is Alexander McQueen. Since inheriting the line from McQueen (may his soul rest on the most perfectly patterned tartan cloud), Sarah Burton has been pressured by buyers and editors to make the line more “wearable.” Her past few seasons have consisted of caged corsets, bee keeper hats, and tiers on tiers of feathered jackets. Burton does not design for consumers- she designs for art. That’s what makes Seyfried’s dress so astounding. She is wearing a creation from a house that has spit out some of the most controversial, harsh, statement pieces that fashion has seen (remember the armadillo shoe?), but it is elegant and soft. More of an Oscar look for Seyfried, I see her dress as a statement from the line that every once in a while, we can find some elegant poetry in the dark world that inspires Burton’s line. Well done.

Catherine Zeta Jones

Does anyone actually know/care how old she is? Has she aged a day?! She killed in Zuhair Murad, famous for flashy yet intricately detailed work. The gold upper half of the dress flowed perfectly into the lower chiffon. It easily could have looked cheesy with the amount of metallic going on, but the bottom is so innocent and balances the loud beading. When she reprised her legendary role in “Chicago” her dress made more sense than it already did, and gives the gown a cinematic significance other than it’s obvious aesthetic beauty. Hollywood royalty, dressed like a queen.

Jennifer Aniston

Okay Jennifer, we get it. You’re the girl next door, you’re naturally pretty, and you don’t have to try to capture the attention and hearts of America. BUT WAIT, it’s the Oscars, and you actually do. The dress was fantastic, I will give her that. The color was much richer than what she normally does, and the drama of the train is also more out of the Aniston comfort zone. But the hair? She manages to take a piece and almost insult its beauty by refusing to do anything more than get a blow out. You don’t wear Valentino in Valentino red to the RED carpet and forget to do your hair. Get it together Rach.

Check out more looks from the 2013 Oscars after the jump!

[pagebreak]

Helen Hunt

If you are ever lucky enough to make it to the Academy Awards and you wear H&M you will come back as a dung beetle in your next life.

Sunrise Coigney

Not a huge amount of press will cover her dress because she is known mainly as Mark Ruffalo’s wife, but her dress was fantastic. Not taking away from her husband and his night, but occasion appropriate and tasteful while still being playful.

Zoe Saldana

This dress would have looked much better without the belt.

Brandi Glanville

What does the Real Housewives have to do with the Oscars? Also the cut and neckline on this dress is all wrong.